• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Still Sneezing

Nummy

Young Bun
Hello :wave: I am still having a problem with nummy and all his sneezing!!! I took him to the vets about a month or so ago for his sneezing, the vet said the sneezing was the cause of his dental problems and that it would clear up after he cliped his teeth. Well after the teeth clipping the sneezing continued, so I called the vet back and told him this. He told me to give nummy some baytril that I had at home for 7-14 days. I noticed no change with the sneezing. We are going back in on wednesday for his teeth clip and a recheck on the sneezing cuz it is just weird! His nose is runny but does no have any colored discharge at all, it is just watery and clear. His eyes are clear and he acts totally normal. This all started when spring came and now won't go away:shock: I have not changed his enviroment at all he has all his regular bedding, food, etc. Do rabbits have allergies? And if so is there a way to provide relief like from benedrill or something? Any ideas? If it was a infection wouldn't it be worse after 6 weeks of sneezing?

Yes, Rabbits can have allergies.

Sneezing and a runny nose can also be a symptom of elongated tooth roots. Skull radiographs would be required to establish if this were the problem for Nummy. Just 'clipping' the teeth will not alter tooth root elongation.

In the UK 'clipping' a Rabbits teeth is not considered to be good practice as damage can be done to the tooth enamel which can then result in tooth root abscesses. Vets here tend to us various Dental burrs to take off tooth spurs and reduce the length of the teeth. Most Rabbit Savvy Vets here believe that a thorough Dental cannot be acheived without anaethetising the Rabbit and that just clipping/rasping sharp bits of tooth can exacerbate the Dental problems.

http://www.vetdent.eu/downloads/dent-rab-tooth-elong.pdf

Last edited:
Oh I hope it is nothing bad!!! I think the vet does use the dental burr thing... but I will ask them. I go to The Links Road Animal Clinic in Toronto as I have heard they are the best and one of the only ones that I know does dental on rabbits. So I hope they are doing it the best way as to not cause any damage. I don't think that I have ever got Nummy a xray for his teeth, maybe I should get them to have a look. If he did have elongation as his problem, what is done for that? My vet said he has got rotten teeth already and suspects him of being older than we think he is. I hope he is okay :? I will be seeing his vet tomorrow so we will know more then.

Oh I hope it is nothing bad!!! I think the vet does use the dental burr thing... but I will ask them. I go to The Links Road Animal Clinic in Toronto as I have heard they are the best and one of the only ones that I know does dental on rabbits. So I hope they are doing it the best way as to not cause any damage. I don't think that I have ever got Nummy a xray for his teeth, maybe I should get them to have a look. If he did have elongation as his problem, what is done for that? My vet said he has got rotten teeth already and suspects him of being older than we think he is. I hope he is okay :? I will be seeing his vet tomorrow so we will know more then.

If your vet used clippers then you would know - they look like hand held pliers - I've seen them and had an awful vet use them on my bun! :evil: Although I do understand that in some life threatening conditions some rabbit sanctuary owners may have no choice as a temporary and emergency measure.
If it was a burr - you would have heard the machine as it is electronically driven normally like a dentists tool? You can ask them! I think Jane is right....it does sound like your bun needs an Xray for full assessment of the teeth, especially if they suspect rotten ones, as abcessation would be a risk I think. Elongated tooth roots can not really be altered as below the jaw line but elongated spurs can be filed down using a burr to correct both the spurs and if experienced the jaw mechanics/bite as well and it is often found that by doing this it controls tooth root elongation as well. These procedures including the head Xray would be done under a GA.

Hello :wave: Well I took nummy to the vet for his teeth, found out that they only use the clipping tools for the back teeth. They said there is no other way but they use the burr tool for the front teeth. Nummy made it through okay though, he even ate some food after and took a bath in the crate after the whole or deal :lol: I asked the vet about the sneezing and he said the lungs sounded clear and the sneezing is probably due to his enviroment and suggested a air purifier for the little guy. I am leaning over to the allergy thing too as I noticed that on our way to the vet he didn't have a runny nose or sneeze. I got him home and he was back to sneezing again. I don't know from what though!!! :roll: I hope a air purifier will work, it is worth a try.

Hello :wave: Well I took nummy to the vet for his teeth, found out that they only use the clipping tools for the back teeth. They said there is no other way but they use the burr tool for the front teeth. Nummy made it through okay though, he even ate some food after and took a bath in the crate after the whole or deal :lol: I asked the vet about the sneezing and he said the lungs sounded clear and the sneezing is probably due to his enviroment and suggested a air purifier for the little guy. I am leaning over to the allergy thing too as I noticed that on our way to the vet he didn't have a runny nose or sneeze. I got him home and he was back to sneezing again. I don't know from what though!!! :roll: I hope a air purifier will work, it is worth a try.

I have never heard of a vet clipping molar teeth?!:shock: How? Did your bun have a GA first? Clipping causes extreme pain and risks tooth root fracture and consequent infection and abcessation. :( Did they give your bun pain relief post dental?
I would be very inclined to find myself another more rabbit-savy vet if I were you! Even if just for a second opinion on his sneezing and/or future dentals.
Good luck :)

Well Nummy gets molar spurs that poke him, he also grinds his front teeth crooked from time to time. I have to bring him in about 3-4 times a year for his dental work. I looked up rabbit dental tools on the internet and they look like the ones my vet is using. I asked them about using the electric tool for the spurs, but they said they can't do that they use the electric tool for the front teeth only. Nummy has been under GA before for his teeth to have some rotten ones removed, but usually is awake for the procedure. He seems fine with it and it usually only lasts a few minuets. Funny thing is he seems happier after he gets rid of the spurs. Unfortunatly I have not found any other vet around here that does rabbit dental. I do see another vet but they don't do teeth :cry:.

As for his sneezing, I have read that dental issues can be a cause. I sure hope that is not the problem. He is a older rabbit too so maybe that has something to do with it. I will be taking him to see his other vet for the sneezing fits, maybe get a culture to rule out any infection. I hope he will be okay. If Nummy had snuffles wouldn't there be more symptoms than just a runny nose and sneezing? It has been about 2 months of this and it has not gotten any worse or better. And how is snuffles cought? I have no other rabbits and Nummy doesn't go outside I clean his pen all the time and he gets fresh food and water daily. The only thing that has changed for him recently has been newspaper in his pen. He has decided to pee outside of his litter pan lately so I put down some newspaper to keeps things dry. I clean that often too. I just don't know what to do. His sneezing seems better today, but his nose is still runny. I even saw a white boogie too but it was very small. I hope that is not bad :?. Does this sound like a infection to anyone else??? Or does anyone have a bun who sneezes alot?? Please help!!!!

Well Nummy gets molar spurs that poke him, he also grinds his front teeth crooked from time to time. I have to bring him in about 3-4 times a year for his dental work. I looked up rabbit dental tools on the internet and they look like the ones my vet is using. I asked them about using the electric tool for the spurs, but they said they can't do that they use the electric tool for the front teeth only. Nummy has been under GA before for his teeth to have some rotten ones removed, but usually is awake for the procedure. He seems fine with it and it usually only lasts a few minuets. Funny thing is he seems happier after he gets rid of the spurs. Unfortunatly I have not found any other vet around here that does rabbit dental. I do see another vet but they don't do teeth :cry:.

As for his sneezing, I have read that dental issues can be a cause. I sure hope that is not the problem. He is a older rabbit too so maybe that has something to do with it. I will be taking him to see his other vet for the sneezing fits, maybe get a culture to rule out any infection. I hope he will be okay. If Nummy had snuffles wouldn't there be more symptoms than just a runny nose and sneezing? It has been about 2 months of this and it has not gotten any worse or better. And how is snuffles cought? I have no other rabbits and Nummy doesn't go outside I clean his pen all the time and he gets fresh food and water daily. The only thing that has changed for him recently has been newspaper in his pen. He has decided to pee outside of his litter pan lately so I put down some newspaper to keeps things dry. I clean that often too. I just don't know what to do. His sneezing seems better today, but his nose is still runny. I even saw a white boogie too but it was very small. I hope that is not bad :?. Does this sound like a infection to anyone else??? Or does anyone have a bun who sneezes alot?? Please help!!!!

It does sound as though he has an upper respiratory tract infection which, given his poor dentition, may well be caused by elongated tooth roots.
Were skull radiographs taken this time?
Is Nummy on antibiotics?

My bunny has been sneezing for 2 months as well

It is such a mystery. Frodo started sneezing, then had a respiratory infection and then an abcess. We cured the infection, then the abcess, but then he stopped eating so we did a dental. He is eating fine now, but then got a respiratory infection again. All this time he has still been sneezing. he is eating and bright and no discharge from his nose. Sometimes there has been a clear discharge but not much and very seldom.
Now he is losing weight fast. And we don't know why.
it is so worrying when you don't know how to treat them. Good luck with your bunny. Jo

It is such a mystery. Frodo started sneezing, then had a respiratory infection and then an abcess. We cured the infection, then the abcess, but then he stopped eating so we did a dental. He is eating fine now, but then got a respiratory infection again. All this time he has still been sneezing. he is eating and bright and no discharge from his nose. Sometimes there has been a clear discharge but not much and very seldom.
Now he is losing weight fast. And we don't know why.
it is so worrying when you don't know how to treat them. Good luck with your bunny. Jo

Has your Rabbit had any diagnostics eg Skull and chest radiographs ?
Full blood profile ?

What antibiotics has he had and how long was the course ?

oh I am sorry to hear about poor Frodo. I understand how you feel in regards to treatment. Nummy is still sneezing, but no discharge, just a bit runny still. I am hoping it is nothing, I don't want to loose Nummy he is so special to me :) He didn't have xrays yet, I have told the vet I want some on his next visit for his teeth. The other vet he goes to thinks the sneezing may be a result from his enviroment too. So I just always keep a close eye on Nummy in case of any changes. I send lotsa vibes out to you and Frodo, Let us know if you find out anything.

Thanks! i wrote about Frodo in another thread and got some good advice. I had every test done yesterday so will get more results soon. they have started him on Septrin, just in case all the baytril is what is causing him to lose weight. I'll let you know how he does. Jo

Back