• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can you tell if a bunny is deaf?

dayle_x

Mama Doe
My uncle was sawing the other day, all the other bunnies ran off into the shed, charlie just sat in the run dozing.
Do you think hes deaf?
How can i tell?
xx

It's pretty hard to tell as rabbits have other senses that compensate. Rabbits will also react differently to the same things, for example a rabbit that's grow up around noisy kids might take absolutely no notice of kids squealing and mucking about but rabbits not used to it may bolt for cover.

Do you see him rotating his ears towards sounds when he's up and around?

if he aint scared of the hoover thats a good one... Pearl is terrified but Alvin isnt. shaking the treat tin.. Alvin never reacts but runs when Pearl comes running. a sudden darting about the cage when you appear infront of them too, Alvin is always startled by me appearing in the room as he just doesnt hear me coming, i think one day i may just give him a heart attack :shock:

the clapping hands and shouting no when he does something naughty used to go ignored and i put it down to him being stubborn at first :lol:

it was 50/50 that he was deaf when we first got him, but after having pearl with really fantastic hearing its obvious alvin is either partially or completely deaf.. which is good for him really hes not half of stressed as pearl but hes more fiesty :love:

Back