• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning the lawn

drboo

Mama Doe
After any of the buns have been on the lawn, I tend to clean up as many of their droppings as poss, for hygiene reasons. However, a friend of mine has suggested that I don't, as they are good for the grass. But I am worried about attracting flies etc. What does everyone else do? Thanks :wave:

droppings are good for the garden. so i would leave them as long as you keep the run & hutch clean they should be fine :wave:

i leave mine but they seem to only go in one spot and if it begins to pile up then i clear it away i do thier hutches daily. x

I leave the nice raisens where they are as they're good for the lawn. I find it's the ceacals that tend to attract flies. If they've done a huge pile in one place, I'll sweep them up but otherwise, they stay where they fall :lol:

Ours stay put and they normally break down pretty fast, the rain helps them breakdown faster and with all the rain lately ;)

I am lucky I have two very clean bunnies who go back to their litter tray to do their business and never drop anything on the lawn! Bless them!:love:

I clean them up with a dustpan and brush, even though there are only 2 of them my garden isn't that huge so honestly if you saw the amount they drop over 2 days I would not be able to see a single blade of grass after a week :oops::lol:

My dogs hoover up most of them :mrgreen: but other than that I leave them as a good fertilizer for the lawn!

hehe we have a dog who just seems to like the guinea pig droppings :roll: never bothered with the rabbit ones lol

Bunny droppings are a great fertiliser! This is one of the reasons (apart from territory marking) that wild rabbits spread their droppings around - to fertilise the ground and grow themselves better grass to eat! :D

The rain and sun breaks them down in no time and we've definitely got much lusher grass growing than before we got out buns....our soil is really poor here....not any more! :D:lol:
We also haven't had to mow the lawn yet this year! :)

I leave mine (well not mine obviously Ty, Bru and Sparkle's) and we have little patches of fantastically green grass that grows wonderfully in the "toilet" areas they have chosen on our lawn

I leave it. When I first got buns our grass was awful, some patches didn't grow at all. Now its really lush and green.

and we have little patches of fantastically green grass that grows wonderfully in the "toilet" areas they have chosen on our lawn

Do you not find that urine scalds the grass into bare patches? :shock: or are you referring only to the poops? :oops:

mine either wee in their litter tray or on my bed :? so the lawn just gets the nice fertiliser and i get a load of washing to do :roll: :lol:

Back