• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny looking thin

Hoppityhop

New Kit
Hi,

I'm new here, so sorry for just bursting in with my own post.

We have had bunnies for nearly 10 years. After losing one of our bunnies a couple of months ago, we got Hector from the RSPCA just over a month ago.

He is eating fine - we let them (we have a girl bunny, Lucy, too) free to roam the garden during the day, so have ample leaves and grass, and we give them Excel, same amount as we gave the two of them before, along with carrots, cabbage, hay. He seems to be eating all of these, and as far as I know, he's drinking too.

But, he has started to look really thin. His haunches are showing, and he just looks thin. He's bounding about and really seems happy though.

I've booked him in at our vets for tomorrow afternoon, but does anyone know what there could be wrong?

I have no idea what he weighs, he is quite skittish, and we've wanted to let him settle in before we start handling him too much. I'm hoping he won't be too much trouble to get into the carrier tomorrow!

Thanks for any advice.

Heather x

There are lots of possible causes of weight loss.
It sounds as though he has lost muscle mass and it would be a good idea to have blood tests done to check his kidneys and liver are working properly. The vet will also need to check his teeth and tummy. He may be eating more slowly than your other bunny and not getting his share.
A little bit of porridge made with water may help him gain weight if your vet is ok with it

I always find my buns lose weight a while before they pass on, I would get him checked at the vet as soon as possible, perhaps he needs extra feed? Or change his hay to the more fattening alphifa hay (or however you spell it)

Perhaps you should weight him and keep and eye on his weight to make sure it doesnt go down any more.

Hope hes ok

Big vibes from Rimmi and I

Back