• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cut

blaisey

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I've not been around in a while but would be really greatful of some help.

Flopsie had some dental work last week and was fine, her normal little madam self then she went for her check up today and had bit of a moment and jumped from the vets table, landing on her face.

When we got her home she's got a big gash on her lip where she's bit her lip so we took her straight back to the vet who said it will be best to let it heal on it's own.

How can we be sure it'll heal, is there anything we can do to make sure she keeps it clean etc?

She's tucking away at her hay ok just now but looks shocked.

I have some hibiscrub that I dilute to 10% with water that my vet recommends for washing wounds. Just keep a close eye on it, it will probably heal fine but if you see anything that looks bad take her back to the vet :)

Hi all,

I've not been around in a while but would be really greatful of some help.

Flopsie had some dental work last week and was fine, her normal little madam self then she went for her check up today and had bit of a moment and jumped from the vets table, landing on her face.

When we got her home she's got a big gash on her lip where she's bit her lip so we took her straight back to the vet who said it will be best to let it heal on it's own.

How can we be sure it'll heal, is there anything we can do to make sure she keeps it clean etc?

She's tucking away at her hay ok just now but looks shocked.

A bang to the jaw sufficient to cut the lip could potentially put a hair line fracture in the lower jaw and/or fracture tooth roots. It happened to my bun when he got 'nudged' out of their hutch by his wifey and toppled onto a stone floor. He actually damaged all his incisors - 2 fell out the next day and 2 chipped and all he had was a cut lip too! I would hope the vet examined her jaw and teeth properly afterwards and gave her some metacam for the pain and shock?! That's what we did here (on advice of the emergency vet by phone as it was midnight). His teeth worked their way loose the next day and the vet removed them and tested the nerves the next morning. I would make sure your bun keeps eating through the night - if not vet will be needed for pain relief and examination. Some Bach Five Flower rescue remedy might be helpful on a raisin :)
Edited to say my bun was eating normally immediately afterwards and all through the night too as if nothing had happened - rabbits hide pain and injury very well.

Last edited:
Thanks,

I'll keep an eye on her tonight, unfortunately I'm at work tomorrow so won't be able to see to her til I get in. Rob will pop home during the day to make sure she's ok.

Argh, so much worry!

Back