• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Naughty bun Peter

PrincessPinky

Mama Doe
He is deplummed :lol: so why does he always wee on me, my bed, my pillow, my clothes :oops: :roll:
My room is starting to smell :mrgreen:

He is litter trained in his hutch, but it goes out the window when he is in the house! :?

When Charlie pee'd on my bed, I banned him from coming on the bed. Didn't put him back in the hutch, but banished him to the floor. Once I saw he was goingback in his hutch to use the litter tray in there, I allowed him back up. He knows the rules now - pee on my bed and be banished :D

Any training responses must be IMMEDIATE otherwise they are ineffective. If you put him back in his hutch 5 seconds after he has weed on your bed he won't understand why you are putting him back in his hutch and will just be more confused/frustrated and just as likely to mark your bed the next time he comes out again. If he's neutered then this will not necessarily remove all territorial behaviour. He is marking your bed and by your responses he has now 'learnt' a behaviour pattern that you need to now break. What he did yesterday he will continue to do today and tomorrow unless you break the pattern. Rabbits learn by association and once a behaviour is ingrained it is hard to break. Ideally you need to catch him BEFORE he pees - when he is raising his tail and backing up to do it....males are quite easy to spot....at this point you need to intercept, clap you hands, say 'no, and herd or lift him into a litter tray with a pot of treats (raisins for example) at the ready. It would be worth having a litter tray in the room beside the bed in a corner. The second he does his wee in the tray you need to reward him.

The only way to teach this reliably is to begin with only allow supervised access to your room/bed where he pees, this way you can watch him like a hawk. If you miss it, don't respond. Bunnies thrive on negative attention as much as positive attention sometimes - he'll be looking for a reaction.
Give him lots of opportunity to get it right and avoid scolding him when he gets it wrong. Good luck :)

Any training responses must be IMMEDIATE otherwise they are ineffective. If you put him back in his hutch 5 seconds after he has weed on your bed he won't understand why you are putting him back in his hutch and will just be more confused/frustrated and just as likely to mark your bed the next time he comes out again. If he's neutered then this will not necessarily remove all territorial behaviour. He is marking your bed and by your responses he has now 'learnt' a behaviour pattern that you need to now break. What he did yesterday he will continue to do today and tomorrow unless you break the pattern. Rabbits learn by association and once a behaviour is ingrained it is hard to break. Ideally you need to catch him BEFORE he pees - when he is raising his tail and backing up to do it....males are quite easy to spot....at this point you need to intercept, clap you hands, say 'no, and herd or lift him into a litter tray with a pot of treats (raisins for example) at the ready. It would be worth having a litter tray in the room beside the bed in a corner. The second he does his wee in the tray you need to reward him.

The only way to teach this reliably is to begin with only allow supervised access to your room/bed where he pees, this way you can watch him like a hawk. If you miss it, don't respond. Bunnies thrive on negative attention as much as positive attention sometimes - he'll be looking for a reaction.
Give him lots of opportunity to get it right and avoid scolding him when he gets it wrong. Good luck :)

I contantly watch him but he does it on the sly i only realised yesterday when i came to put pjs on :mrgreen: he has a special smell :mrgreen: :lol:

I'm still litter training my young buck but he seems to have a preference for my bed over the litter tray too! He does only seem to do it on my partners side. I think theres an element of competition between them!

I am hoping with some persistance and lots of positive reinforcement behind the use of his litter tray he will improve. I went out today to get a second litter tray one for next to the bed and one in his cage. :D

I have been trying the 'watch for it' method with Saffy, too. When I see her tail raise, I pop her in her tray where she sits for a few seconds. After she has jumped out, I peek in to see if she weed...and as I am doing this she is having a wee right beside the tray!
Good luck to you! My Saffy doesn't wee on my bed, but it is still a pain in the behind!

Back