• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

change of fur colour?

happypreso

Alpha Buck
I have noticed that my two 'babies' have changed fur colours/markings .... would this be an ongoing thing or likely to stop at some point? (they are 7 months old).

Holly has gained spots and markings as she has become older and Angel was black (well light black/grey) and white and the black colouring seem to be changing more of any orange kind of colour (same as his mum).

It makes no difference to me what colour they end up, I just thought that once they had their colourings etc it didn't change ...

It is possible that more spots appear or the ones that are there are stronger. This doesn't just happen in bunnies, but other animals too... (e.g. dalmations are born white). Once they are grown up, there shouldn't be any changes in this respect.

Re the orangey fur in a black rabbit. I am not sure how orangey the fur has become, but black fur does often have a tendency to go brown in the summer due to the sun. So this may well happen every summer.

I also have a bunny that is grey and white. He is just changing coat and the steel grey is changing into a brown grey again... and I am sure it will change back again for the winter... :lol:

Vera

matthew and tabitha are two years old. when i got them, they were orange lops. they are still lops.

in his first winter, matthew went dark at the edges - orange with blackish ears and bum, and some interesting small black markings on his lovely nose. the following summer, he oranged-up again. second winter, he got darker, and stayed dark. so i think he's closer to an agouti with dark trim.

tabby rabbit grew paler. from orange to a sandy cream. her only dark patch is her half-stripe 'fault'. her dark mark!

goodness knows what next :roll:. i know they're mine, not changelings - they have the same faces as in their baby photos on the breeder's website :)

their mum is an agouti, and their dad a lovely blue. anything could happen.:shock::lol:

Back