• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny spays

dayle_x

Mama Doe
Hi there. I am getting Pixie spayed to calm her hormones ready for the bond with Boo and Tallulah.

After her spay, is she ok to stay with Phoenix? (she is already bonded to him)
How long until her hormones calm down?

Thank you

I would keep her seperate but in sight of phoenix, if indoors, for up to two weeks to allow her to heal. its a big op.

Saying that, you know your bunnies. Autumn went back out after 4 days, I knew she would be ok, as she is the dominant bunny in the pair at the time, and they were already bonded before that.

I thought you were supposed to keep them together if they were already bonded so that they had company when they were poorly??

I did that when my Jenny was spade (and after Philip had his eye out) and they seemed to appreciate being together. The one who hadn't had the anesthetic was very gentle with the other one and they just sat together each time very quietly until the poorly one was feeling better (usually the next morning/evening, depending on when they had the anesthetic)

I've only ever kept my bonded pairs apart for maximum of 24 hours....in some cases theyve gone straight back together and theyve always been fine....~I think they appreciate the company of their partner.

Autumn was very sleepy when she came around, plus she was my first bunny spay and I didn't want to risk anything, especially as she wouldn't let Charlie move an inch, and on top of that I had lost a bun to post spay complications (She came to me 2 weeks after her spay).

So may be I was being over causious.

I tend to go with gut instinct. Willow went back with Bluebell after 24 hours as I knew she'd be fine. But as Autumn and Casper had been a bit tense prior to spay I left her on her own for a week to give her some space.

Back