• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

no more teeth problems...

Gaile

Warren Scout
Well Angus had very bad teeth when I first aquired him (rescued) so he went to the vets for dental work that was 7months ago. He had he's myx jab so I asked the vet to check Angus's teeth worried that they maybe starting to be uncomfortable for him......no his teeth are fine no problems said the vet. How I asked....thought once a rabbit had dental problems that was for life.....nope said vet because Angus now eating grass all the time and a better diet it has helped he's teeth stay in good shape!!! so here he is.

29-10-08_1335.jpg

this photo was taken when Angus had bad teeth...hence the watery eyes!

Very Bad Teeth!

Hi Gaile

I came on to ask about dental problems and came across your story of hope.....Bugsy had the spurs filed down on his back teeth only five weeks ago and went back to the vet on Friday to get his front teeth burred (he has to go avery five to six weeks for his front teeth but has only had his back teeth done once) and the spurs have grown back again.

The vet is concerned that the frequency of the re-occurance could seriously impact on his quality of life and does not recommend that he be sedated on such a regular basis (i.e every 6 weeks or so) and instead thinks it would be kinder to have Bugsy put to sleep (he is just over a year old). He is going in tomorrow to have the procedure done one last time and then I am hoping to control it by restricting him to a hay/grass only diet. He's a fussy eater, preferring greens and pellets to hay (and the odd cat biscuit when he gets the chance!) so I'm hoping that the change to his diet will have the impact it needs.

What problems did your bunny have and how has diet made such a big difference?

Any advice would be appreciated?

Sorry to hear about your bunny's teeth problems.......my Angus had stopped eating and it was only his back teeth that were the problem...Grass has something in it that helps keep the teeth worn down. It's different if it involves the front teeth.Sorry but only you can make this very difficult decision.

Hi Gaile

I came on to ask about dental problems and came across your story of hope.....Bugsy had the spurs filed down on his back teeth only five weeks ago and went back to the vet on Friday to get his front teeth burred (he has to go avery five to six weeks for his front teeth but has only had his back teeth done once) and the spurs have grown back again.

The vet is concerned that the frequency of the re-occurance could seriously impact on his quality of life and does not recommend that he be sedated on such a regular basis (i.e every 6 weeks or so) and instead thinks it would be kinder to have Bugsy put to sleep (he is just over a year old). He is going in tomorrow to have the procedure done one last time and then I am hoping to control it by restricting him to a hay/grass only diet. He's a fussy eater, preferring greens and pellets to hay (and the odd cat biscuit when he gets the chance!) so I'm hoping that the change to his diet will have the impact it needs.

What problems did your bunny have and how has diet made such a big difference?

Any advice would be appreciated?

If your buns front teeth are the main problem then they can be removed by a bunny savvy vet. Lots of people on here have what we call gummy bunnies who manage just fine & there is no need to consider putting a bun to sleep if this op can help solve the problem. One of our buns Arthur manages perfectly well with no front teeth - all it means is that we have to grate his veggies for him & make sure his hay / grass is cut into small pieces so he can eat them :)

If you do a search for gummy bunnies, I'm sure you'll find loads of threads that will help you & give you a lot more info.

Hope your bun will be ok.

Back