• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

*DANGER* feeding Naturals range carrot pellets U/D spoke to MD at Rosewood pets

Saucepot

Alpha Buck
Hi all

I bought these a while back as an occasional treat for my bun Sophie. She has had them a couple of times and ate them out of the palm of my hand but tonight I put a few in her bowl. Withing a minute, she was running around with mucus literally flying out of her nose, sneezing and with laboured breathing. There was so much snot, it soaked OH's arm. I have phoned the emergency vet and she is resting quietly now, only sneezing a little and has been cleaning her nose.
These pellets are small but thin and shiny and I am sure she either inhaled some into her nasal passages and possibly aspirated some too.
Just wanted to draw your attention to it incase any of you have them. I am not one for giving these sorts of treats normally :( I am going to contact the manufacturer about it too.

It is these ones:

http://www.esources.co.uk/product/28873/

Last edited:
There have been TWO similar reports on this forum of this happening with naturals carrot pellets :?

At first I thought it was just a terrible coincidence but it looks like they need to be withdrawn :?

Thats awful :( I stopped feeling them our buns after the last warning on here. They really ought to stop selling them or reshape them :( Theyre the same shape as A+P thought, but they seem a lot harder IMO.

I do hope your bunny will be ok, and DO contact the manufacturer tomorrow xXx

omg how scary for you :(:(

i used to feed these myself before i moved onto baking my own treats :shock:

I would get your Vet to examin her first thing tomorrow as if she did aspirate a pellet she is at risk of developing an aspiration pneumonia.

Thanks for those links...it is awful they are still being sold. I am on a mission now to have them withdrawn.
May I copy and paste the threads about these pellets from here please, so they know it isn't an isolated incident?

I am having minor surgery 1st thing tomorrow morning but will get her checked out in the evening. She is a lot better in herself and munching hay now :)

PS it may be worth having a warning in a sticky on here so other members know? if I had read it on here, I never would have given her them :(

Spoke to a Mr Barrett who is in charge of the Naturals range at Rosewood pets. They were aware of this problem and Mr Barrett had spoken to someone from this forum (Vikki?) who experienced a similar thing to me. He said they were considering discontinuing tthe carrot pellets and would definately do so now. I asked if they would recall the stock out there and he was cagey and would have to speak to the Director but they probably won't so I am going to email as many companies as possible that I can find who still stock it to make them aware of the dangers.
Sally at Pampered Piggies has taken it off her shelves already and has been great. Sophie ok today but quiet so off to the vets tonight for a chest xray.

Spoke to a Mr Barrett who is in charge of the Naturals range at Rosewood pets. They were aware of this problem and Mr Barrett had spoken to someone from this forum (Vikki?) who experienced a similar thing to me. He said they were considering discontinuing tthe carrot pellets and would definately do so now. I asked if they would recall the stock out there and he was cagey and would have to speak to the Director but they probably won't so I am going to email as many companies as possible that I can find who still stock it to make them aware of the dangers.
Sally at Pampered Piggies has taken it off her shelves already and has been great. Sophie ok today but quiet so off to the vets tonight for a chest xray.

It's good that they are withdrawing it, but I'm very surprised at them being cagey about withdrawing it from sale, I always thought of them as a very ethical and conscientious company.:?
I'm not at all surprised that Sally is so quick off the ball with taking them off the shelves, Pampered Piggies are ace, I've never heard one bad word about them :D

I also had this problem with my bunny Sooty who choked but thankfully survived. We also had a problem with a rescue bunny who we think may have inhaled some into her nose.

I reported through Pets at home who I bought the product from. I got a standard letter back but hopefully now that there are at least 4 (if not more as many rabbit owners do not visit this site) bunnies that have now had serious problems with them they will withdraw earlier than planned.

I have contacted loads of online pet stores, including pets at home about these asking them to withdraw them from sale or state that they are unsuitable for rabbits due to danger of inhaling or choking :)

Poor Sophie, she has had so much trauma in her poor short life already, most of it due to hoomans :roll:

poor soph & poor you. It was so scary when sooty started choking & of course it would have to happen at 11:00 on a sunday evening which meant a £90 emergency vet bill before I even started! The strange thing was that he had had them for years with NO problem but the choking was definately caused by the pellet as he had had nothing else to eat for a while (was chilling out with me on the sofa so had not even ate hay for a little while)

Sadly i believe someone had a bun choke to death on these. I hope shes ok.

Well, I had a bunny choke to death last night on normal rabbit pellets (Spillers), and another years ago on different types (which I managed to save though unlike River last night). I think that unfortunately it can happen with most pellets...

Vera

Last edited:
very sorry for your loss Vera. RIP river. it's a horrible thing to go through. Sadly buns can choke on normal pellets too and vickie had lost one before to choking but this is usually very rare (I think about 1 a year on the forum). Unfortunately with the naturals range it is now at least 4 bunnies in less than a few months. Thankfully none have passed away as a result.

I sent a note to simplyk9 about this thread, got this reply

Hi Louise,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention! We will withdraw these from sale with immediate effect!!

Many Thanks,

Simon.

o/p Which shops have you informed? I have a bit of time on my hands, I wouldn't mind sending a few emails.

Mine always had these until I saw other posts on here.Today I bought them Burgess mix to have in their treat box instead.

Thanks lottielouise!
I hadn't emailed simplyk9 so that is great news. Done so far: petdealz, petplanet, partnerspets, lost4pets, topeco, viovet and pets at home :wave: one of those I also wrote a review warning of the danger and one other has withdrawn them from sale and the other has updated the product as being unsuitable for rabbits. Also, letting local petshops that stock these know the dangers will be a great help :) some vets I have informed are also putting a notice up, anyone who can inform their bunny vet about this will help too x

Well, I had a bunny choke to death last night on normal rabbit pellets (Spillers), and another years ago on different types (which I managed to save though unlike River last night). I think that unfortunately it can happen with most pellets...

Vera

Anything really, same as humans. The owner of a pet shop near me refuses to stock hay that's not chopped up as she had a rabbit choke to death on a long bit of hay.

Tam

Back