• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please Help

emmarees

Young Bun
Alfie, is not well again, sorry to come here only when she is not well. :oops:
She has been stretching herself out since about 4 o clock, She has had her teeth done last monday and all has been well. This afternoon after having been fed some of her science select by our god children (about 4 nuggets) she has been stretching herself out, she has had very big poos so we think she has an upset stomach, we have been massaging her belly and it is nice and soft at the moment.

She has been grunting very mildly over the last week or so which the vet thought was due to small cuts on her tongue. The vet has said she is very healthy in all other ways. This is not like her she is usually very alert and active. She is cleaning herself.

Any ideas of what may be wrong or any more advice?

possibly a gut slow down, vets will be the best place to get your Alfie checked over, even if its just for piece of mind

loads of vibes for her xxxxx

As soon as I put the last post up, Alfie immediately perked up and became lively as usual even playing in her tube. She has eaten some grass and a little bit of carrot. I have postponed the vet (with his agreement I must add) until tomorrow. The vet is now claiming telepathic healing skills!!!!!!

I will update you in the morning, hopefully everything will be ok overnight. ;)

haha shes smart, didnt want to go and get a thermometer put up her bum :lol::lol::lol::lol:

glad shes picked up :D:D:D

I'd get her checked over by the Vet tomorrow anyway. The symptoms you describe are consistent with Cecal Impaction.

Alfie didnt eat last night and had big mucky poos this morning. We have been down the vet this afternoon. She has colic again. Alfie had 4 injections including painkillers and some metcarm. The vet has given us some metcarm and oxbow formula.

If there was no improvement then she would have to be hospitalised.

She has improved a little this evening eating some grass and drinking water. We spoke to the Vet who is happy that she has eaten something.

We are giving her a tablespoon of oxbow every 3 hours. More metcarm tomorrow morning and tomorrow evening. :(:(:(:(

Plenty of grass and hay in her cage.

Last edited:
I'm sorry she had a relapse. The way you describe her lying at the beginning, the sudden recovery, is typical of gas in the bowel/colick. Woodwards' gripe water /Infacol work wonders!!! But her poohs need watching.
I find the syringe blocks easily with oxbow. I Now squirt it into an old towel too late to stop it squirting up the walls!!!!
Every good wish for a speedy recovery.

checking her through the night tonight. Seems a little more lively now had another dose of oxbow. She ate her treat fine.

Think she is getting better, didn't want to be picked up as usual this morning, starting to kick out and fight if we do. Much stronger and with a soft belly, when I shook the treat pack she started to look for it. Her poos are getting back to normal as well.

Just gave her metcarm and oxbow formula. Vet said she would like the oxbow and lick it off the syringe. Not in this case!!! She also ate a litte of her science select, some grass and chopped up carrot overnight.

Think she is getting better, didn't want to be picked up as usual this morning, starting to kick out and fight if we do. Much stronger and with a soft belly, when I shook the treat pack she started to look for it. Her poos are getting back to normal as well.

Just gave her metcarm and oxbow formula. Vet said she would like the oxbow and lick it off the syringe. Not in this case!!! She also ate a litte of her science select, some grass and chopped up carrot overnight.

The trick to syringe feeding is to cut the end of a 1ml syringe and then sand the edges with a nail file to remove any sharp corners. If you make the mixture slightly more watery or stir in some ripe mashed banana it helps it to pass through the syringe more easily. I find a blunted syringe works very well.

I hope she continues to improve. :)

I am on my own this morning, she just ate two science select from my hand. I have tried to give her the oxbow again, but she is fighting me and growling. She will not let me catch her or get a towel over her for a bunny burrito. So no joy on the oxbow. She seems quite strong at the moment. I am waiting for the vet to ring me to see if I can leave the oxbow off for the morning.

I am on my own this morning, she just ate two science select from my hand. I have tried to give her the oxbow again, but she is fighting me and growling. She will not let me catch her or get a towel over her for a bunny burrito. So no joy on the oxbow. She seems quite strong at the moment. I am waiting for the vet to ring me to see if I can leave the oxbow off for the morning.

I appreciate it's difficult if you are on your own. But you need to keep her eating to keep her guts mobile. If you can't successfully syringe feed her alone then you need to keep tempting her with different things to spark her appetite back. It tends not to come back by itself very often, but with persuasion instead. I would recommend repeatedly offering her food by hand....freshly scented herbs like basil, thyme, coriander, mint etc can work well, as can peppery foods like watercress, rocket, radish tops etc. You don't want to pee her off you but you do need to encourage her to eat. She may be due more painkillers as well?
If she is not eating by herself enough to keep her guts mobile then you will have to syringe feed her until she does. Good luck :)

just had some grass from the garden, a little bit of carrot. Think she is eating by herself. Vet is happy for the syringe to be left off - but if nothing is eaten then back on it. Going to get fresh herbs now..

Back