• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

chewing bars?????

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
Hi

Earl my house bun has no teeth- yet he constantly chews the bars of his dog cage which are black- dipped plastic coated.

Im worried he is hurting his mouth as he squeezes his nose through to chew and LICK? the bars making them all soggy.

I know it is not boredm as he even does it when we are stroking him and playing with him and when he has free roam of the living room.

i can only assume he likes the taste.

Does anyone have any ideas????

It may just be an instinct. Rabbits have an instinct to chew on things to keep their teeth healthy, so even though he has no teeth, the instinct hasn't gone away.

It may just be an instinct. Rabbits have an instinct to chew on things to keep their teeth healthy, so even though he has no teeth, the instinct hasn't gone away.

thanks, he has card and wicker but doesnt bother with that- bless him- i feel so sorry for him- but not sorry for my furniture!!!

He's probably doing it quite simply because he dosn't want to be in there and would rather be exploring or enjoying your attention. Juno used to be an absolute mare for rattling the bars when I was ignoring her or if she wanted to be fed. :roll:

He's probably doing it quite simply because he dosn't want to be in there and would rather be exploring or enjoying your attention. Juno used to be an absolute mare for rattling the bars when I was ignoring her or if she wanted to be fed. :roll:

i wish it were that simple but he does it on the OUTSIDE of his cage when he is out too................when i am stroking him..........

silly earl

My bunny would do it too!! He would lick the bars and radiators, even though the cage was open and he'd been fed. I had and still have no idea why he did it! He was fed the correct diet, had exercise, was healthy etc

Back