• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hoovering!

i need to hoover the bunny room, the landing and the 2 rooms next to it as hay and saw dust is everywhere! however i dont wanna terrify my new baby!

He's not fazed by traffic noise or sounds outside his room (as far as i know - he never reacts to them anyway) so should i put him in a box in a quiet room far away from the noise until its done, or should i move his entire cage with him in it? which would stress him out less?

sorry i'm a complete noob!

i need to hoover the bunny room, the landing and the 2 rooms next to it as hay and saw dust is everywhere! however i dont wanna terrify my new baby!

He's not fazed by traffic noise or sounds outside his room (as far as i know - he never reacts to them anyway) so should i put him in a box in a quiet room far away from the noise until its done, or should i move his entire cage with him in it? which would stress him out less?

sorry i'm a complete noob!

It depends on your hoover! and your bunny! The hoover we use downstairs is a small quiet one and I can get away with emergency hoovering with them in their hutch, although one of my buns is VERY startled by any noise, he is ok with this, just wary. But I tend to wait until they are upstairs or outside to be honest, I prefer not to risk it as buns are very prone to stress.

Upstairs we have a dyson and it is very loud so if they are upstairs I put them in the spare room with a litter tray and water bowl and shut the door to hoover. Mainly because of the noise, but also because in the 5 seconds I was out of the room the mains cable had some significant teeth marks in it!! :shock: Terrified me how quickly they can chew through wires - everything else in the house is bunny proofed. My OH had to resplice the cable as it had gone down to the live wire almost!:shock: I will never risk that again so always make sure they are both well out of the way. :D

Oops didn't answer your question! :oops: I would move his whole cage if you can safely lift it, otherwise I would put him in his carrier with some food and water and put him in a quiet room. :)

our bunny does not mind the hoover at all- just try it for a minute see how he reacts- start far away and get closer- he needs to get used to it...

our bunny does not mind the hoover at all- just try it for a minute see how he reacts- start far away and get closer- he needs to get used to it...

If you do this, you have to make sure that the bunny does not chew the hoover cable.

Blue isn't fussed. I have a dyson and have hoovered round him when he was flopped out....he didnt even bother getting up.
Id try hoovering with the door open but not in his room just to see how he reacts. He might be fine with it.

Kermit never used to bother with the hoover, he would run round the back of his cage, then he would gradually come back out and see what the fuss was.

Also, noticed that you said you have sawdust about.....have you ever thought about not bothering with sawdust, i used it to begin with, but it got everywhere and was hard to keep the house tidy, so i just stopped using it.....much better!

We use a hoover near both bins they have no fear! We slowly introduced them to it. Far easier than moving your bun each time you need to hoover!

Also re the sawdust could you swap this for fleeces or towels for bun to lie on? Make a lot less mess for you!

Back