• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

fighting rabbits

CDW

Warren Scout
Have also posted this in the health section - can anyone help?

Hi

Can anyone help? I have two ten week old dwarf lop rabbits (both sisters). I went in to check on them a wee while ago and there was fluff everywhere! I checked Faith and she is fine. Ebony has a small bite on her ear which I have bathed. Will it be okay to wait until tomorrow before having this checked over by a vet or would this need attention today?

Both of them seem to be eating and drinking and pooing fine at the moment, will keep an eye on this.

Also, I've currently got one of them confined to the cage and the other one getting free run of the room - I keep alternating every half hour or hour so they are both getting exercise. The reason I did this is that Faith seemed to be chasing Ebony and there was a lot of foot stamping going on. Is it safe to let them out together again or will they both have to be kept separate now that this has happened?

Please advise...

Thanks

Sounds like hormones are kicking in and this will escalate until they're both spayed. :( I'd keep an eye on her ear, so to speak, as it may need antibiotics, but if it's a very small bite it's not really an emergency IMO. You shouldn't keep them together now until they've been spayed, then you'll need to re-bond them. If you live near a rescue they may do it for you for a small donation?

I have two young sisters together.. when i first got them there was some fighting, Milly was bullying Butters. After they were given more space it calmed down and there hasn't been any fighting since. Im not suggesting you keep yours together if they are actually leaving wounds on each other, but certainly after spaying you can try to rebond them.

Are you certain that they are both Does ?

i wondered this... do get a second opinon as if one is a male the fur you see could be nesting....

regardles sof their sexes they should be nuetered as this prevents hormonal and territorial fighting :) x

i wondered this... do get a second opinon as if one is a male the fur you see could be nesting....

regardles sof their sexes they should be nuetered as this prevents hormonal and territorial fighting :) x

Many thanks for all your responses. I've had both rabbits sexed twice now and both times I've been told they are girls. However, I'm taking them both back to the vet today to get them checked over so will ask them to double check this. They both seem fine after their scuffle so hopefully I caught it in time. I did know there was a risk of fighting but hoped it might not be so soon (I've only had them two weeks).

I'll speak to my vet today about how early we can get them spayed. In the meantime, I have sectioned off the room with a puppy pen and they have half each to roam around freely plus a cage for each of them to use as a base. Hopefully they won't nip each other through the bars - if they do I'll have to have a rethink. Hopefully this way they will still be used to each other and rebonding won't be too difficult.

It's so heartbreaking having to split them up though but don't want to risk any further injury :(

Last edited:
I had Sophie done at 16 weeks. If your vets says he can't have a look around other local vets, you might find another that will. Some vets refuse until they are 6 months old.

ETA: It was at about 10 weeks that she 'turned' and teenage behaviour hit. I even took a bit to my hand, and she got territorial about her cage. After 6 weeks of this, I think we were both glad to get rid of the lady bits :)

Back