• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

some people do listen :o)

happypreso

Alpha Buck
I belong to another forum (nothing to do with rabbits) and there was a lady on there saying that she was going to a breeder to buy two rabbits and what was best - male/female, two males etc.

I wrote a long reply advising about cost, the fact they are not ideal pets for children (she had a couple of young children), the hutch/run size issue, rescues, the whole list (!) and she has just sent me a message saying thank you for the advice and they have decided that at this time it isn't the right choice to buy a rabbit or two! I know it doesn't mean that she might not change her mind in the future but it is a step in the right direction.

You see, I would be afraid I getting whipped for saying something like that. Good job! :shock:

To be honest I have recently starting replying where ever I see any wanted emails/posts re getting rabbits and friends (!) and I have never had any 'horrible' response back - normally people dont reply at all, so to me it is better to try something rather than do nothing.

I try and write it from the heart, I really didn't know what I was getting into when I bought my original two rabbits (I had rabbits as a child and things have changed SOOOOO much since then!). I went from 2 rabbits up to 11 at one point and it wasn't much fun trying to find hutches/runs for them all and then find them good homes too. I have spent about £1k approx in the year that I have had my rabbits on food/hutches/runs/operations/vets bills for my blind bun's/the new shed/adapting the garden (wire, slabs etc)/jabs etc etc.

I really went in blind when I bought my two rabbits (from pre-loved) and now a year later it has all worked out and I have a group of 4 lovely bunnies who I wouldn't be without :love: but I could have given up on them months ago due to the cost, aggression (they were unhappy and not neturered) and just pure 'hassle' of getting them to where they are now.

I just really wished I had found this forum BEFORE i bought my rabbits and wish I knew then, what I know now. I would have done things so differently!

Just a shame that more people dont listen ....

I know several people that have recently bought rabbits (even though I have told them all my long list of cost, diet, rescues, excerise etc) and 90% of those people have already given them away, after a few months, due to agression/lack of interest etc .... it just really breaks my heart for those poor bunnies (and I now know there are many, many more out there) x

Some people do listen.

Ilovemybuns is one of them. When I sold my hutch to her I was terrified, one or more buns would be living in there for the rest of its life, and I am so glad she came on here and got the correct advice, as I was not give/found the correct advice until it was too late and I have bought the 4ft hutch run combo.

I have to admit I do reply to freebie adds too. As above, I get very few replies, and those who do (1/20) are normally very positive about it.

Back