• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

please dont judge me!

mum to Amos

Young Bun
I got Amos a little over a month ago from a rescue centre. he is adorable and has really settled into our little family, i love him to bits.

The problem is, I have just found out I am pregnant and i am worrying my self sick about how I am going to cope when the baby comes.

Amos lives indoors and he has free range of the house when we are at home but he is a bit of a handful, nothing major just burrowing under his house and always jumps on the sofas. we dont let him on the sofa as he sometimes gets too comfy and pees. bless him.

I dont know how i am going to cope with him when I am looking after a new born. My husband suggested converting the shed into a house for him but our whole garden is decked so he wouldnt be able to come out of his shed as the decking would be too hard on his feet.

I am only 6 weeks pregnant and I am breaking my heart worrying what to do. I love him so much.

The reason why the title is please dont judge me is because i know how passionate the members are on here and i didnt want people shouting at me for getting pregnant soon after i had taken on Amos

please help
x

could u move amos outside and get him a hutch and run on the decking??? or oculd u dedicate a bit of the house to him instead of him being free range?

i don't know about outdoor sheds and such as mine are also house buns, but if he had a nice big shed it might be nice to get him a friend as when the baby comes you wont be able to give as much attention as before? thats my small suggestion :)

Is he a rex or have issues with sore hocks? Mine live on concrete so a bit of decking isn't going to cause most bunnies harm.

That said if you like him as a house rabbit then a pen indoors might suit you better. There is no issue with pregnancy and rabbit litter trays, unlike cats :)

Is he a rex or have issues with sore hocks? Mine live on concrete so a bit of decking isn't going to cause most bunnies harm.

no, he is a lop/english cross and has no issues with sore hocks, would constant contact with decking cause sore hocks?

Hi hun, I think thngs get a bit heated on here when folks dont seem to care about their pets and you genuinely do. I am sure there will be someone on here who can help you, we aint monsters x x Congrats on your pregnancy.

My buns live on concrete and are mini rex buns, never had a problem with their feet. I guess you could always put some rubber tiles down or something like that. Is your bun neutered? I found that my two boys calmed down a lot once they were neutered.

Congrats hey?!

If I were in your position, I would get him castrated if he isnt already, and get him bonded to another rabbit and kit out the shed into a lovely home for them, I have rexes and cant be put on hard ground, but that is only because they are rexes ;)

You could get this sorted well before you get near your due date I think? If you dont feel confident (as Im sure I would be so scared/excited if I found out i was expecting) then you must do what you feel is right. :)

My Friends have a bun, Dave, and they have just had a baby. Dave has stopped indoors with no issues.

Why do people think bus should go out when they have a baby, is there something I have missed (Sorry OH this is not aimed as a critisism, I am just wondering)

Surely it is only when baby gets bigger that having a bun gets to be an issue, i.e. toddler running afer bunny.

why not make a large box tray out of wood to put on part of the decking? my sister has decking in her garden and it doesn't bother her buns when they are out, but hers sn't all deckig she has a lawn :wave:

Hey, congratulations!!!! NO, putting him on the decking won't be a problem! When it's hot you could always take an old duvet etc out and let him him play on that. Mine is on patio the whole time and is a Rex, no problems at all. He has free run of the garden when I can but not all the time. Do what suits you best! xxxx

You can get some equine rubber matting to lay over the decking - fasten down or cover the edges so he can't chew the sides:D

My english spot has had sore hocks - it's usually in breeds with thin fur on their feet like rexes, but I use the matting on laminate & he's fine:D

Buns love company - you may wind up busy with a little one, but maybe you could get him a spayed girlie from a Rescue? That way you wouldn't have to worry if you can't spend time with him. If he's neutered, he might not be such a destructo-bun either - although don't count on it!

Back