• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay storage in cage

milly100

Alpha Buck
Hi,

My 2 bunnies are house buns who have free range of my dining room and they have a large dog cage as their base and it is lined with vet bed. The problem I have is that I put their hay directly on to the vet bed but after today I am going to have to think of an alternative. This being because I put the vet bed in the washing machine after I have brushed the hay off but today my washing machine packed in and the cause was hay blocking it!!! So I am not very popular with my OH :( So I need to think of a way to give the buns their hay without putting it on the vet bed. Any ideas???

i used to use a hay rack but ruben would scratch out the hay so it would fall on the floor all over! now i have started using a whiskers cat food pouches cardboard box, it is actually shaped to allow for his head and neck when he is eating, it is just a box with the top bit missing and curved on the front, you could just adapt a box of your own?

this has worked best for me :D

Ours have half hanging baskets with litter trays under :) Maybe just pop some litter trays about and put his hay in them :D (no promises they won't manage to drag some hay onto the vetbed though the little devils ;) )

My little Rimmi has a shallow cat bowl (plastic but you can get ceramics ones... Wilkos or pets at home) just because I find hay rack are so messy and he seemed to eat less hay when it was hung up.... hes happy with his bowl of hay which is changed everyday or refilled if empty and I havent had any probs with him sitting in it, peeing in it or digging out, and some said I would.

Bless.

Hope this helps.

Mind you, Rimmi is a nethie, if yours are bigger than the litter box idea is brill.... as long as they dont pee on it all the time, lol.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will get some containers to put the hay into. Ive used hay racks in the past but the buns didn't seem to like them very much.

I used a wicker bowl type thing for kermit in my living room.
He did used to nibble the bowl, but was mostly intrested in the hay.

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Bow...et.139.html?osCsid=edmkj0nkteuickosqidr0t1rb1

I have just bought one of these (will be arriving tomorrow!) as I currently have a hay rack and the bunnies just tip it out over the floor - they are in a shed though so it isn't a real problem as such.

I also use these:
http://www.simplyk9.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_89&products_id=434
which I only fill with hay, which keeps the hay off the ground and they do eat from it too.

Hope that helps

I have the hay rack above the litter tray as shown below which means most of the mess they make eating the hay goes in the tray, although some does go down the back.

Obviously it helps they have an obliging friend to help them eat their hay in comfort ;)

IMG_2552.jpg

I did see a fabulous litter tray on here ages ago which had a high back and an integral hay rack so all the hay ended up in the tray.

I bought the willow basket from The Hay Experts but all that is now left is the base!! Being willow and sea grass it is perferct for destruction and teeth sharpening activities!!!:lol:

Once payday is here I will definately be investing in a couple of willow bowls they look just the job for what I need. Thanks for the link :wave:

i used to use the hay rack from pets@home..but ginger used to paw it a lot..woke me up loads of times at 3am etc..i was also worried she get her foot stuck it in, as she seemed just to drag it all out as soon as i put it in lol
like the look of the bowl.. not sure how long it last with her though she chews for england :lol:

I would always recommend putting vet bed into a large pillow case before putting it in the washing machine. Saves blocking the filter :D

happypreso;3246042 I also use these: [url said:
http://www.simplyk9.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_89&products_id=434[/url]
which I only fill with hay, which keeps the hay off the ground and they do eat from it too.

Hope that helps

Wow, what an awesome website!! Wish I had seen this before (am a bad spender online and at pets at home), this site is so much cheaper!!!

:)

Back