• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it going to be possible to re-bond these two girls ...if so how please??

spinnersue

Warren Scout
Up until recently I had two bonded pairs (both opposite sex couples), each pair had a separate hutch but all 4 bunnies shared the 6ft run. They used to spend nearly all day everyday in the run and all four really got on well. The oldest of the two females always appeared to be "top bunny" but then a couple of months ago the younger female (they are all neutered by the way) suddenly started chasing and attacking the older one and its got so bad that as soon as they are put in together she starts and poor Merry just sits in a corner shaking. It's not just mild fighting, blood has been drawn a few times now and I have had to seperate them for their own safety. Since we lost Pippin (Merry's brother who she was bonded with) it's got even worse because Tia now also attacks Simba, her partner, if he spends any time in the run with Merry and they end up fighting. As we only have the one run I have been swapping the two girls around so they get half a day each but leaving Simba in there with them both but as that is causing problems now he will only be able to have half a day with Tia which means that poor Merry will be on her own in not only her hutch, but in the run too (we are still looking for a new mate for her).

I would like to know if there is any chance that I could re-bond the two girls as they got on so well before and I would just love all of them be able to use the run all day like they used to. If there is a possibility of this, how should I go about it please?

I think your problem has risen from them liviving in seperate hutch's. I also think you could do with a bigger run. I know what you are going through from personal experience. It's like when your bonding rabbits, they can be fine all day in a neutral area then you try and put one in the other ones territory and they fight. The next day you put them back in the neutral area and they fight at first but then calm down so you try and see if they will go in together and they wont. Its all trial and error. The thing is when they do learn to live together permanently and I can only speak from my own experience they should be fine.

Poor Merry is looking so miserable and lonely. I really need to get this bonding sorted out and also to get her a mate asap but the local rescues won't let me rehome a bun because I only have a seperate run, even though it's a fair size and the buns usually go out in it all day every day....it even has a hutch bit built into the end so they are well protected from bad weather. We chose a seperate run purposely so that we would be handling the buns everyday.

Back