• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are these foods ok to give my rabbits?

animal luver#1

Warren Scout
List of what i'm feeding them
Apples
Bananas
Peaches
Lettuce
Grain
Carrots
Clover
Grass
Hay
Bread

What I don't feed them cause im not sure if i should
Cucumber
Tomatoes
Grapes

Are the foods I'm feeding them safe? And are the foods i'm not sure of safe? Are there any other foods i could feed them that i did not mention?

Just Wondering. Thanks!!:D

Apples
Bananas
Peaches
Lettuce
Grain
Carrots
Clover
Grass
Hay
Bread

Cucumber
Tomatoes
Grapes

Are the foods I'm feeding them safe? And are the foods i'm not sure of safe? Are there any other foods i could feed them that i did not mention?

i think most of those are fine..not sure about peaches though as they have astone in? i wouldnt risk it. however you can also feed cabbage spring greens, spinach, carrot, pear, fresh herbs mint parsley and corriander wallflowers dandilions roses and leaves nastursioums various fruti trees particularly apple tree leaves and branches and rasberry bushes, blackcurrent bush, brambles, blackberry bush leaves, nut tree (hazelenut ) leaves, ..thinks hard... also can feed celery but not to much and willow in abundance. :) x

i think most of those are fine..not sure about peaches though as they have astone in? i wouldnt risk it. however you can also feed cabbage spring greens, spinach, carrot, pear, fresh herbs mint parsley and corriander wallflowers dandilions roses and leaves nastursioums various fruti trees particularly apple tree leaves and branches and rasberry bushes, blackcurrent bush, brambles, blackberry bush leaves, nut tree (hazelenut ) leaves, ..thinks hard... also can feed celery but not to much and willow in abundance. :) x

Ok thanks for the help. I think ive tried pear b4. they liked it but i havent had time to get any in a while.

I wouldnt feed them lettuce because it can give them gas. I personally dont feed mine bread either....

Leafy greens (spring greens) are probably the most important veg to feed.

I wouldn't personally feed grain or bread cos they're too starchy.

bunlover, why not too much celery? I feed a lot of this and just wondered if there's anything I should know!

bunlover, why not too much celery? I feed a lot of this and just wondered if there's anything I should know!

There have been a few cases of buns choking on celery string. as long as you cut it into tiny pieces it is okay bit i avoid it generally.

i never thought of them being startchy. Now that u mention it the foods are pretty startchy. Thans for your advice! It was much appriciated!! :):):):):) xxxxx

Last edited:
lettuce isnt good for bunnies as Lettuce contains lactucarium, which can give your rabbit diarhea so bad that it becomes fatal.,
fresh bread isnt a good idea either as can swell in their tummys, but stale bread completly dried out so its rock hard is a good treat for them and helps keep teeth down, but as will all treats not too often.
i think the other items you meantioned are ok, tomatoes are ok but not the tops or stalks as these can poison rabbits, mine love sweet potato, (not normal potato as too startch for them) but i only give them a little bit occasionally as a treat. i had one rabbit that loved water melon and if not kept an eye on would steal it off my plate.

I wouldn't feed my rabbits lettuce, grain or bread.

Lettuce is gassy and avoid Iceberg at ALL costs.

To the celery debate it's fine - just cut it finely as there have been a few cases on here of rabbits choking.

However, I would not feed it to my buns. I am FAR too paranoid.

Apples - yes - just a slice (sugary)
Bananas - as for apples
Peaches - as for apples but remove stone
Lettuce - only Romaine is suggested - soporific and digestive upset
Grain - No - starchy
Carrots - yes - but as for apples - sugary
Clover - yes
Grass - yes unlimited
Hay - yes unlimited
Bread - no - starchy

Cucumber - yes
Tomatoes - yes - source of potassium - but sugary as fruit so as apple
Grapes - yes as apple

Leafy greens are best - carrot tops, celery tops, radish tops, pea tops, spring greens, kale, watercress, brocoli - and calabrese, dandelions, plantain etc. tons of things! :D

No worries :D:wave:
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/safefoods.htm
p.s. tomato leaves are poisonous, only fruit can be fed.

ive given my buns celery for three years since ive had them and theyve always been fine, at the end of the day they could have a freak accident and choke on anything.

i always cut veg up small, and theyve always been fine

and jelly looooved a bit of mushy peach in a bowl ;)

Back