• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quantity of veg to be feeding daily

beki

Mama Doe
I was just wondering how much veg is OK for a bunny to eat, i don't want her to get a poorly tummy! i currently give her half a carrot, one of the head/stalk kind of bunch things whatever they are called, of broccoli and some grass or if i can find them, dandilion leaves a day. Should i give her more? i am testing her with other veg, she likes spinich, but i will only give her a leaf or two at a time.

i suppose thinking about it, it is not a lot, but i didn't want to make her poorly. She is 5 months old and a medium sized bunny if this helps.

thanks

This is the same as my bun gets, our vet said it was fine. Rosie eats mainly hay but she has a few Science Selective pellets everyday as well. Some peoples buns eat loads more veg than this, if you introduce more you should do it slowly. Hay should make up the majority diet though.

The quantities you're feeding should not cause her tummy problems but be aware that carrots being fed too often can make a bun more likely to suffer from diabetes later in life as they are high in sugars.

I would try and offer a greater variety of veg, perhaps offer occasional fresh herbs, mine love mint and parsley. Also a cherry tomato as a treat goes down well or a mini sweetcorn!

Oh i didn't realise that about carrots!!

she does like mini sweetcorn, will try her on Tomato and some herbs.

I never feed my buns on how much but always on how long.They have as much pellets that can be eaten within 30 minutes[I read somewhere its an hour but its always ever been 30 mins for mine]in the morning & as much veg as they can eat between 6 & 10 in the evening.Which leaves 19 1/2 hours for munching on fresh hay/grass.Ive not had a dental bun in over 10 years so either ive been very lucky or else this method is working.:)

I never feed my buns on how much but always on how long.They have as much pellets that can be eaten within 30 minutes[I read somewhere its an hour but its always ever been 30 mins for mine]in the morning & as much veg as they can eat between 6 & 10 in the evening.Which leaves 19 1/2 hours for munching on fresh hay/grass.Ive not had a dental bun in over 10 years so either ive been very lucky or else this method is working.:)

That's an interesting way of measuring it and sounds successful, sure mine would get through a 2kg bag in 30mins! :lol:

woah - its usually said to feel egg cup full of pellets, my rabbit eats that in under a minute, so HOW much would he eat in 30 mins??!?:shock::lol:

I was just wondering how much veg is OK for a bunny to eat, i don't want her to get a poorly tummy! i currently give her half a carrot, one of the head/stalk kind of bunch things whatever they are called, of broccoli and some grass or if i can find them, dandilion leaves a day. Should i give her more? i am testing her with other veg, she likes spinich, but i will only give her a leaf or two at a time.

i suppose thinking about it, it is not a lot, but i didn't want to make her poorly. She is 5 months old and a medium sized bunny if this helps.

thanks

Hi :wave:,

Actually the carrot isn't so much a risk of diabetes, but more of a risk of caecal dysbiosis which is far more common. Any fruit, sugary veg (like carrot) or cereal based food (pellets/mix) is high in starches (which are sugars) and therefore can upset the bacterial balance in the caecum which is what causes excess caecotroph production and often soft stools - this is the tummy upset most people refer too. However, certain veg fed in excess, or ones which bunny is not so tolerant too can also cause this. (As can stress, antibiotics, dental health etc)
Some buns tolerate all veg and lots of it and some tolerate less and only certain types. I have one bun of each but both my buns eat a huge plateful between them of between 4-5 different veggies per day. You should aim to feed around 3-4 different types daily for variety and nutritional balance. However, this is more important for me as I don't feed a commercial feed at all, so if you do give some pellet/mix food then you don't need to worry so much about missing the nutritional points. However, all buns appreciate veggies and greenery in their diet, it provides interest, variety and hydration.

As your bun is still adolescent I would begin SLOWLY. To build your bun up to eating a large volume of veg daily should be done carefully and over several weeks-months, especially when they are young. Establishing caecal flora that tolerate the levels I give takes a few months.
Any new veg should be introduced one at a time over a 24-72 hr period depending on how long caecal passing is in your rabbit. A rabbit with a more mobile GI tract will probably be more like 24 hrs. Therefore, if I give a veg that upsets my less tolerant bun, she will produce an excess caecotroph within 24 hrs. She is sensitive to cabbages and spring greens so I feed her these sparingly. My other bun can eat piles of the stuff!

Scours/runny stool can be caused by sudden acute upset from too much sweet Spring grass (grass should be introduced slowly, especially in Spring where the growth is full of sugar) or veg that has gone yellow or been washed in strong chlorine. For this reason only feed 'fresh' veg as buns are more susceptible to upset from old veg than we are! and WASH all veg before feeding. True diarrhea is watery and requires URGENT vet attention.

The best greens in my opinion are the leafy greens that mimick the wild diet more closely, including safe wild plants if you can access them. A lot of human veg has been designed for a processed human diet and tends to lack fibre and nutritional benefit for rabbits and is often just watery and starchy.
Fresh herbs are always a winner! Coriander, mint, basil, parsley, rosemary, thyme, and then green leafy stuff like carrot TOPS, spring greens, celery TOPS, radish TOPS, beetroot TOPS, watercress, pea tops, rocket etc... Then things you might find in your garden such as apple and pear tree leaves/twigs, hazel and willow, jerusalem artichoke leaves, dandelions, groundsel, mallow, nettle (dried to remove sting), sow thistles, goosegrass, plantain, blackberry/raspberry leaves, etc. as these are what wild buns access.

If your bun experiences digestive upset - excess caecotrophs/soft stools, you would need to withdraw all feed except for hay and water for a day or two until it clears up. (Providing she does eat hay?) If it persists or there are other symptoms then vet attention should be sought.
Most importantly, a bun's diet should be around 90% hay and the rest made up from veggies/greens and only an eggcup full of pellets (if at all).
Here are some links:
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/safefoods.htm
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/going_green_oct_06.pdf
http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-4/pellets.html
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=670&S=5

My bun gets his bowl filled with curly kale, then a variety of bits and pieces on top: a couple of thin slices of apple, carrot, pear, and a piece of broccoli. He gets this at dusk and dawn :D

That's an interesting way of measuring it and sounds successful, sure mine would get through a 2kg bag in 30mins! :lol:

I complete agree hehe I would have 4 round bunnies trying to waddle round the garage if they got adlib pellets from 30 minutes hehe. Ours get a small handful scattered in for them to forage for. Then again our lot go mad at feeding time and run around for 10 minutes before starting eating haha, idiots! :lol:

Veg wise our 4 rabbits get a spring green a day (I split one spring green between 4 rabbits and 4 guinea pigs in the morning and then another one in the evening so they get one a day basically). Thats there basic veg they get everyday then on top of that are random veg such as kale, tomato, swede, carrot, parnsip, spinach, watercress, herbs (whatever I've decided for that day/week/was on offer:oops::lol: ) They also have the garden for over 12hrs a day and they forage whatever branches/weeds/grass/trees they can get too :D Then adlib hay whenever there inside :)

Thanks everyone for your tips, and thanks Pretty Lupin for the very detailed post. I nopticed you said rocket, i love rocket but wasn't sure if i coul give it to ruby, i have some in the fridge so will give her a bit and see what she thinks.

Yes she does eat hay, lots of it!

Hi folks
I've just read with real interest all the comments on this thread as I was after some advice for the feeding of my new buns.
I have had them a week now, only knowing when I got them that they were fed on WAGS dry food daily and cabbage and carrot once a week. I thought I would try and introduce some additional veg/fruit and so have been feeding them daily on fresh veg and have introduced apple and orange as well as the carrot and cabbage they have been having but have also been leaving quite a dishful of dry food down.
Have I been overfeeding them? I have noticed when I went to clean out the hutch that their motions are quite loose. I noticed too that of the dry food I have been leaving down in their dish that they are being quite selective eating the flakes but leaving the green pellets.
Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

woah - its usually said to feel egg cup full of pellets, my rabbit eats that in under a minute, so HOW much would he eat in 30 mins??!?:shock::lol:

mine eat 1/4 of a bowl between 2buns in 30 minutes.I guess they are so full up with hay over night that they not that hungry!:D

Back