• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plz help - Noah U/D more good news overnight

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
Ex-Honeybunny Noah has been extremely fazed by moving home, and is still extremely quiet. He's pretty much just lieing still and his breathing seems a bit fast. Does anyone have any advice? I don't want to take him to the vet as that would stress him more but is there anything I can do to help him settle? I s there anything I could collect from the vet, for instance? Have pmed Jill but I think she does Boot-fairs on Sat? so thought I'd ask for forum help meanwhile. :?

Last edited:
Ex-Honeybunny Noah has been extremely fazed by moving home, and is still extremely quiet. He's pretty much just lieing still and his breathing seems a bit fast. Does anyone have any advice? I don't want to take him to the vet as that would stress him more but is there anything I can do to help him settle? I s there anything I could collect from the vet, for instance? Have pmed Jill but I think she does Boot-fairs on Sat? so thought I'd ask for forum help meanwhile. :?

Is he eating and pooing?

He ate a few dandelion leaves last night. Wouldn't touch pellets. Am off to try him on critical care and dandelions now to see what happens...

Thanks Kate for the nose-rubs!

Oh I hope Noah is ok.....I'd have thought if he is eating and pooing ok then hes just being a bit shy...I would keep him somewhere a quiet until he settles down a bit and comes out of his shell ,bless him.

He ate a few dandelion leaves last night. Wouldn't touch pellets. Am off to try him on critical care and dandelions now to see what happens...

Has he passed any droppings? How long ago did he arrive with you? I would perhaps give him a little tummy rub, encourage him to hop around and see if you can tempt him with some more dandelions and other veggies. If 'nothing' then vet asap as you know :)

Has he passed any droppings? How long ago did he arrive with you? I would perhaps give him a little tummy rub, encourage him to hop around and see if you can tempt him with some more dandelions and other veggies. If 'nothing' then vet asap as you know :)

Thanks Biscuit and Lupin.

Will bring him in for a meal and hop round to monitor droppings. What would vet prescribe, do you think? I'd like to collect it rather than stress Noah more with yet another journey...

Will try the feeding/massage/hopping first either way - thank you! :wave:

If he hasn't poo'd then he does need to be seen by a Vet. What comes out is just as important as what goes in. The increased respiratory rate is concerning as aswell as being indicative of stress it can also indicate pain or an acute onset of a Respiratory Tract Infection (stress induced)
Could you request a Home Visit from your Vet ?

Oh i hope the wee man calms down and settles in.
Maybe a wee bit of fuss from you will help him to see how good it is there.
Vibes and nose rubs from me x

If he hasn't poo'd then he does need to be seen by a Vet. What comes out is just as important as what goes in. The increased respiratory rate is concerning as aswell as being indicative of stress it can also indicate pain or an acute onset of a Respiratory Tract Infection (stress induced)
Could you request a Home Visit from your Vet ?

I've got an appointment provisionally at 12 but they don't have my rabbit-savvy vet working today and the vet that's on is one of the least rabbit-savvy. :( No sign of droppings yet though he's just nibbled a few apple leaves and dandelions.

I have zantac, baytril, septrin and metacam here - would dosing him on any/a combination of some of these be better than being seen by a less-than-great vet? I'm not sure she'd give him anything else anyway but what do you think? :?

Last edited:
Ive had a few buns that have been like this on arrival,unless he isnt eating at all and is bloated i prob would just leave him to settle,do you have any spring greens? mine never rufuse these

Nicky - when he was here overnight, he did eat some SS pellets but on Friday morning he would only nibble on some dried plantain. He wouldn't touch any veg. Have you got any scrummy carrot tops or fresh parsley that might tempt him? I really hope he settles down soon - it's worrying isn't it?

Nicky - when he was here overnight, he did eat some SS pellets but on Friday morning he would only nibble on some dried plantain. He wouldn't touch any veg. Have you got any scrummy carrot tops or fresh parsley that might tempt him? I really hope he settles down soon - it's worrying isn't it?

Yes I've tried him on spring greens but he's not interested. :cry:

Will get some parsley and carrot tops this afternoon. He's just moved and is sitting a bit more normally. Watching for droppings. Will see if he likes special hay I've got too. :?

It really sounds as though he has been deteriorating over a couple of days and personally I would not want to just medicate him without knowing what the problem is.

I do know what you mean about seeing a Vet who knows sweet FA about Rabbits though :?

I am wondering if he may have oral discomfort (Dental related) if he will eat some soft foods :?

Before medicating him I'd want to rule out GI obstruction (unlikely given history)
Infection (possibility of stress induced RTI), Dental pain (does he have any history of this?), Caecal impaction (bit of a hot topic for me and something that can develope over a few days due to stress). Basically until you know what you are dealing with I would not want to start putting meds into him.

Nickie..have pm'd you ..sorry not sooenr but have been out picking up son from airport

Noah teeth have been fine when checked..let me know how he goes xx

Thanks everyone for messages and pm, Jill.

Not a good development. Just found what looked like fresh blood in small pool of water/urine? Have examined him and he's clean/dry underneath. No sign of injury though and he's been in utility room on his own so can't think where else blood could be from. :cry:

Have given metacam after getting a bit of critical care into him. Cancelled vet as he was looking a bit brighter and remembered she'd been particularly useless in the past :( He's been grooming himself, which is something. Will keep getting as much food into him as poss. Any advice appreciated on ways forward!

Thanks everyone for messages and pm, Jill.

Not a good development. Just found what looked like fresh blood in small pool of water/urine? Have examined him and he's clean/dry underneath. No sign of injury though and he's been in utility room on his own so can't think where else blood could be from. :cry:

Have given metacam after getting a bit of critical care into him. Cancelled vet as he was looking a bit brighter and remembered she'd been particularly useless in the past :( He's been grooming himself, which is something. Will keep getting as much food into him as poss. Any advice appreciated on ways forward!

I can't be of any help but was just looking for an update before I go to work.....I really hope he picks up during today ,I shall be thinking of him and looking for news when I get back.

If he is passing visible blood in his wee then really he does need more than just analgesia.
Does his bladder feel full ?
Can you palpate faeces in his intestines?

It sounds as though he may have cystitis and this can be due to uroliths (bladder stones)

Are there any other Vets nearby ?

Back