• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Happy ending?!

maggyottermad

Warren Scout
Im a vet nurse but never been into rabbits, I fully admit that I got my rabbits the wrong way, through a pet centre :oops:

I got sibling rex's, and a 5ft hutch as was advised this was sufficient...

One week later I discovered the doe had a well developed dental absess, and knowing that the prognosis wouldnt be good I took her back, advising she would need surgery and fulltime care post op, I didnt want Ruben bonding further only with her to lose her...:(

I have recently sourced the 'breeder' who supplied this person with rabbits, who then 'bred' these rabbits, kept in cramped conditions and weaned too young, and sold to pet centre, I actually spoke to her! She is a registered BRC breeder. I plan on informing the brc as I believe I should not only make up for providing business to these people but to also stop it from happening somehow? I am also going to write a letter to the pet centre and inform of all this, as they told me how great the breeder was :evil:

This left Ruben alone, I started visiting this forum and read more about rabbits welfare, realised that I didnt have the right accomodation and that I needed to get him a friend.

After months of searching and reading up I ordered a new 6ft hutch with run, and I got in touch with Fat Fluffs rescue.

Today I went there with Ruben, and 2 hours bonding later came home with Havana a cheeky little mini rex doe :love:

I have learnt so much over last few months and feel like I shouldnt have gone where i went to get Ruben, but I have taken lots from that and hope now to keep learning and provide the best home for my pair.

Ruben looking so lonely:
004.jpg

new hutch
003.jpg

new friends:
RubenHavana003.jpg

Havana:
RubenHavana006.jpg

Ruben sleeping on my bed:
RileyRubenMar09006-1.jpg

Just thought I would share my story so far :wave:

awh they look so cute together.

I think quite a lot of us have been in the same situation. i.e not enough information.

Which is why I started volunteering for my local rabbit rescue and banging the drum so to speak.

The more people bang their drums the harder it is to ignore

Yup i was the same before this forum, although i expect much worse. I had 9 buns all seperate in 5ft hutches. now they are in groups in sheds and loving it
glad you could improve Rubens life, he and havana look very happy!

:love::love: Those are some gorgeous buns.

I'm so happy this forum has been so helpful to you. It sounds like you're doing great, and I can't wait to hear some more updates on these two as they bond even closer. Keep the photos coming!!

Oh so you're the person who gaave Havanna a home? Well done, She's gorgeous! She is almost the spit image of my Smudge who I had castrated yesterday - if no-one had had Havanna I would have pleaded with hubby for her. I'm glad she has a friend to snuggle with. Only 2 hours bonding - wow! Well done! Beautiful photos. :love::love::love:

yes im the lucky gal who is now owned by Havana! :D

anyone know what colour she is? she is named after her colour but im not too sure that she is havana...? she has 2 tones of colour, one darker choc brown and one more orangy colour.

ah, i just read up about the havana colour -

Light defects :
- insipid Color or of slightly rusted appearance.
- insufficiently dark Eyes and nails.

Serious defects :
- Strong rust
- Color lacking clearness
- too clear Eyes and nails

so she is havana but she just has this rusting effect which is the orangy colour, she has what looks like red eyes in some light, and it also says that -

An interesting effect parallel with this dilution of color is that even the pigmentation of the interior of the eye is diluted in all rabbits influenced by this factor C, which results in the appearance of reflections "ruby" when one observes this?il under a certain angle

quite interesting!

she is so tiddy compared to ruben, very petite little lady, she is quite quiet today, ruben keeps checking on her bless him :love:

she obviously isnt too upset as she hasnt refused cabbage or parsley, think she will have to speed up her eating ability, rub's is a greedy boy :roll:

Back