• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would this be dangerous?

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
I've developed a bit of a soft spot for a doe at my local rescue...I was considering bonding her with Apache but she has recently recovered from a RTI, would Apache be at any risk from living with her??

I'm presuming she will still be a subclinical carrier of the infection and could pass it on...but then he lived with Sorrel while she had her RTI so he probably has stuff there already (I know it could be different bacteria)

Anyway I didn't explain that very well cos I dont know enough about how these things work :oops::oops:...but I just thought I'd ask cos she's lovely but obviously I don't want to put him at any risk.

I know it's very soon after Sorrel's passing but Apache thrives on affection and at the moment he is alone for 16 hours each day while I'm at work or sleeping :(

respiratory tract infection, sorry, am lazy at typing :oops:

a pasteurella type infection, but I didn't want to put pasteurella cos we can't be certain it was that (in either bunny)

i probably wouldnt risk it.... Apache is your only remaining angel :cry::cry:... even with the all clear i think the para at losing him would remain in your head after the few months youve had and no matter how beautiful she is, is it worth that?.... could you not find him a different wifebun hun?

oh almost certainly I just have no guarantee that any of them are clear really...I mean they're all in the same rescue in adjacent hutches breathing the same air:?

you're probably right though actually, imagine if he got ill how bad I would feel :cry: think I am just attached to that one cos she's been there months :oops::love:

yeah i know hun, and its probably fine that you bring her home.. but if it was me id be so caught up in the what ifs id be losing sleep :oops:

maybe ask your lovely vet what they recommend, you could get them both tested maybe before an introduction and then thered be no guilt if one of them did get poorly

How thick am I?? I thought RTI was a road traffic incident!!!:oops:...then I read it all properly.
Personally, I wouldnt risk it...yet!! Maybe in time......

:? I don't know :(

If any medical person could tell you what the risks are it would be great, though I don't suppose anyone could be sure of the risks.

When Tinks was sneezing really badly in February and on antibiotics, I asked if Rudy needed antibiotics as he was constantly licking her face - I was told he wasn't at a great risk, so didn't need medication. They were already living together of cause, it wasn't a risk I was introducing to him.

I've just found this old thread

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=126571&highlight=pasturella+contagious&page=2

Just by example Wesley had head tilt/suspected EC whilst he was living with Honey but he didn't infect her. So I think it depends on the bunny's immune system.

What I worry about is that she would introduce it to him (ie he would carry it without getting ill from it), and then if at some point his immune system was compromised due to another condition he would succumb to the RTI whereas otherwise he wouldn't have, as he wouldnt have been exposed to it.

I think I'll leave her tbh...is sad because I do feel I have a connection with her but there is nothing on earth worth risking Apache's health for even a tiny tiny bit. :)

My little Joey had a long spell of snuffles that he didn't pass on to his girlfriend, even though at the time she was really low herself having been through three surgeries within three weeks.

I'd wait to hear from some of the rescue peeps who have experience of lots of buns, but I think you are right to be cautious until you get lots of experienced opinions

I'd only worry if the rabbit had the type of RTI which causes sneezing. Some rabbits with snuffles never sneeze, and I've had a few with this type who lived with other rabbits but never passed it on.

Back