• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lola was very unwell!!

LolasMummy

Mama Doe
I didnt post becuase i was worried about the diagnosis people may give!

On Wednesday am before i went to work Lola was fine eating pooing etc alll really well. I came home on wednesday evening and she seemed a little quite but was ok! About 9pm she hopped down to see us in the sitting room but all she was doing was lying down / hopping up / lying down etc etc. This carried on for a little but then she hopped up and did a wee all over the carpet (she has never done this before). At this point i was really worried so took her upstairs and put her in her bed to see if she was eating / pooing etc. she flatly refused to eat but was weeing and pooing. I left her alone to see if she would relax but she carrried on with the lying down / hopping up thing. Anyway about an hour later (after tummy rubs) she started eating a couple of things but was still not great. She carried on pooing / eating a little. At 1am i went to bed preparing to take her to the vets in the am. when i got up she was a little improved (i wasnt so worried) so i gave her lots of yummy food which she picked at and went to work. by the time i got home she was fine and again today was fine!

Does anyone have any ideas what this may have been about?

Lola has never been ill before!

she is a very picky eater at all times!!! But normally her pellets go in 2 secs!!

I would hazard a guess at it being gas?

One of the classic signs of gas is a restless bunny who can't seem to get comfy and will keep standing up and lying down to ease the pain. Often the gas bubbles break up and pass naturally...which is usually the only time you'll hear/smell a rabbit f*rt

what causes that? she had no strange food? Her tummy did sound a little 'poppy'!

Or is it likely to be just a strange one off?

often it's gassy food like cabbage, broccoli, brussels, kale, etc.

It can also just happen for no apparent reason, in which case I'd think perhaps because of an overgrowth of bacteria in the gut, or a slow down of the gut for some reason.

hmmm she did have broccoli!! Had it lots of times before but maybe if she had a little bug then it made her have a sore tummy!

Thanks for your answers!

Is there anything i should do now to help?

I have limited her treats so she is having hay nonstop, pellets (before bedtime) and a bit of carrot this am?

Is there anything i should do now to help?

Just keep an eye on her in case it happens again.

Infacol is good for breaking up gas bubbles..you can find it in the baby section of any supermarket. And you could give her probiotics as a precaution against too much bad bacteria building up in the gut.

It's useful to keep a painkiller such as metacam in the house, but this is prescription only

Used infacol with babies... how much would i give her if needed? Will buy some!

Where could i get probiotics from? What kind?

Yeah may request some metacam next time at vets! Would have loved to have some for her!

Sorry for all the questions but thanks for answering!

Used infacol with babies... how much would i give her if needed? Will buy some!

Where could i get probiotics from? What kind?

Yeah may request some metacam next time at vets! Would have loved to have some for her!

Sorry for all the questions but thanks for answering!

Agree with everything abbymarysmokey has said above. Bloat/gas can come on totally without warning or any known cause - stress however is often a factor, or another underlying illness in some cases.
Infacol - you can give 1ml before every syringe feed when it is bad or 1ml 3x a day.
I'd recommend Fibreplex by Protexin - over counter from vet, no prescription needed but costs roughly £12 a tube! :shock: Or use something like Avipro by Vetark I think?
Yes, if your bun is prone to this and your vet is happy to prescribe metacam for home use then I would recommend this for the condition, however, you do need to be sure that bunny has eaten recently before administering and if not Zantac alongside will be helpful. :D

Agree with everything abbymarysmokey has said above. Bloat/gas can come on totally without warning or any known cause - stress however is often a factor, or another underlying illness in some cases.
Infacol - you can give 1ml before every syringe feed when it is bad or 1ml 3x a day.
I'd recommend Fibreplex by Protexin - over counter from vet, no prescription needed but costs roughly £12 a tube! :shock: Or use something like Avipro by Vetark I think?
Yes, if your bun is prone to this and your vet is happy to prescribe metacam for home use then I would recommend this for the condition, however, you do need to be sure that bunny has eaten recently before administering and if not Zantac alongside will be helpful. :D

Think it was just a random problem - fingers crossed it doesnt happen agian!

Wow the fibreplex costs a small fortune!!

Hopefully it was a one off and not something that she will become prone to!

Thanks for all your advice! :D

Back