• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Glucosamine

LurcherGirl

Mama Doe
Yesterday, I have for the first time noticed that my 10 1/2 year old bunny is slightly stiff on one of his backlegs. I would like to try glucosamine to help him, but what type do I give a rabbit? Does anyone use glucosamine for their rabbits and if so, what kind? It obviously would have to be a vegetarian type.

Vera

Yesterday, I have for the first time noticed that my 10 1/2 year old bunny is slightly stiff on one of his backlegs. I would like to try glucosamine to help him, but what type do I give a rabbit? Does anyone use glucosamine for their rabbits and if so, what kind? It obviously would have to be a vegetarian type.

Vera

If your bunny is getting a bit arthritic he may benefit from a low dose NSAID daily? Not sure about the glucosamine sorry. :(
10 1/2 yrs is very good going! Wow! :)

If your bunny is getting a bit arthritic he may benefit from a low dose NSAID daily? Not sure about the glucosamine sorry. :(
10 1/2 yrs is very good going! Wow! :)
Thanks for your reply, appreciate it.

I really want to hold off with NSAID until they are absolutely necessary. I would rather try some natural supplements and chiro first before going down the permanent medication route!

I might also try devil's claw as that has a very similar effect to NSAID without the longterm side effects. :) I will also start him on evening primrose oil. But I would also like to know whether anyone has experience with glucosamine in rabbits... I have plenty of experience in keeping arthritic dogs happy on supplements (and ultimately on NSAID), but not bunnies.

Vera

Not sure whether you know, but supa rabbit excel has just started to do a mature rabbit range, it has glucosomine in it as well as ginseng for vitality and cranberry for urinary tract health, i have noticed in my bunny who is a bit stiff that he is def more mobile now.
its brilliant that a pet food suplier is taking bunnies health seriously. :D

Back