• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trio Help please - one's off to be spayed

Pinkyfan

Young Bun
Hi All, I have 3 does 2 of which are spayed I then got a 10 week old bun and after a month bonded her successfully back in February with my other 2.

Shes now due to also be spayed on Wednesday.....but the vet has said she needs to be apart from the other two ??...When we go to the vets we all go ?? I said this and the nurse said well bring them then but she needs 2-3 days separated from them to recover from the spay ?? With my other two they were both spayed at the same time and I didn't seperate them but did keep them indoors and monitored them.

My girls adore each other and are not aggressive at all.....I feel if anything Oreo will want her buddies around her ??

I want to do the best...but now i'm not sure what is best :-(

Sorry, i dont know the answers to this as mine have always been seperate at the time of spaying.

But maybe the reason she says to seperate them is as only one is being done. When you had the other two done they would have both been a bit sore and tired, so would both have took it a bit easier, whereas now your younger one will be sore and tired but the other two will be full of energy and want to play. This MAY mean the younger one will try and join in and maybe hurt herself? I dont know if this is true, just thought it could be a possibility for seperating them. Or maybe its so you can monitor the eating/pooing situation from the young one better, you may not notice if she's recovering properly if shes with the other two?

If you do seperate them, then could you allow them to still see each other through wire or something, so they can still lay next to each other, and smell and see each other. Maybe a little supervised play time together too?

Sorry for not being much help, im sure someone else will be along soon enough.

I've split bonded pairs for spaying. The first time it was no prob putting them back together afterwards. This time there was a bit of chasing but nothing major. You best bet is to cage them nearby so they can still see and smell each other.

I seperated a bonded pair, and had no problem putting them back together a few days later.

I did bring Charlie in to to see Autumn, which may have helped, but she was in a cage so that she couldn't dammage herself (she is the dominant one)

As they're a trio, my best advice would be to keep all three apart for a couple of days, that way Oreo has no time to feel isolated; even if they were each in a cat box for a couple of days; it won't do them harm. Just keep the, facing each other in a triangle kinda shape.
My vet told me to do this when I had my 2 boys neutered (they were fighting over their sister, so off to the vets asap for the snippity snip!)

I wouldn't advise separating them unless there is a problem. If they are too boisterous with her or insist on cleaning her wound you could put her in a wire cage within their enclosure so she is still comforted by having them around and the bond isn't damaged but otherwise keep them together and just keep a close eye for problems. The majority of happily bonded buns know when there pals are unwell and are gentle with them although there are exceptions.

Back