• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

chewing on sticks/wood

CDW

Warren Scout
Hi :wave:

This is probably a really stupid question, but just wanted to check...

Is it perfectly fine for rabbits to chew on wood or sticks? Does this help with their teeth? And can it harm them if they do this in excess? My rabbits have got little bunches of sticks (purchased for rabbits at a pet shop) but they are constantly chewing them - just want to make sure it's okay to let them do this.

Thanks

Hi :wave:

This is probably a really stupid question, but just wanted to check...

Is it perfectly fine for rabbits to chew on wood or sticks? Does this help with their teeth? And can it harm them if they do this in excess? My rabbits have got little bunches of sticks (purchased for rabbits at a pet shop) but they are constantly chewing them - just want to make sure it's okay to let them do this.

Thanks

Yes it's fine, it can help incisor wear a little but it does nothing for molar tooth wear. Do your buns have constant access to hay?! Often a lot of wood gnawing indicates a bunny craving fibre - hay/grass is the 'only' thing that will wear teeth adequately, but wood chewing is fine too....it's a natural behaviour. In the wild rabbits will gnaw the bark of trees and chew any roots that are in their way. :)

Yes it's fine, it can help incisor wear a little but it does nothing for molar tooth wear. Do your buns have constant access to hay?! Often a lot of wood gnawing indicates a bunny craving fibre - hay/grass is the 'only' thing that will wear teeth adequately, but wood chewing is fine too....it's a natural behaviour. In the wild rabbits will gnaw the bark of trees and chew any roots that are in their way. :)

Yes, I've been trying to get them to eat as much hay as I can - I've got it all over the place in the room they are currently in and they do seem to be munching on it quite happily and the amount they have eaten has increased since I got them. However, I had a bag of supa forage excel and they seemed to love it - it was quite finely chopped. I got another bag last week and it looks completely different, they don't seem to like it as much, although they are still eating it. Think I will purchase a few samples from the hay experts for them to try.

Thanks for your replies.

Back