• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to stop it rotting?

Cornishlass

Mama Doe
I'm getting my new aviary run today but how do I stop it rotting? It will be on a patio but when it rains will be standing in water. My "portable" run is only a year old and with all the rain we getr has started to rot out already! :cry: This one needs to last for years or DH will kill me! LOL

Treat it with wood preserver. I use Cuprinol ducksback which has a 5 or 10 year guarantee (I can't remember which). You'll need to treat the panels before you actually put them up though, otherwise the underside touching the ground won't be protected.

Ah, They have been treated at the shop - but only lightly. Can't recoat as he's coming today to put them together - no other time. Oh well, thanks for that. Will see what I can do at a later stage. Hope this lasts for while.

They have arrived and look O.k. - flimsier than I was expecting though. :? Oh well, hope it'll be O.K. once screwed together. Can't wait till 3:00!

My aviary is 18 ft long, so was slightly wobbly where some panels didn't touch the floor properly...so I put a long piece of timber diagonally from floor to ceiling at each end, which seems to have helped stabilized it a lot. These can be added after it's up. I will try to get some photos of mine so you can see what I mean.

I picked up some plastic stoppers from wilkinsons, like little plastic feet. This lifts the wood just a cm or so off the ground allowing the water to drain away and the wood to stay much drier.

They sound PERFECT! How do they work then? How wide are they at the tops? The wood is 1 1/2" Could you post a piccy of them?

Give it a once over with wood paint like cuprinol garden shades once it's put up. It doesn't matter if you get some paint on the mesh, just do the main exposed bits of wood.

I'm letting it get soaked first to expand, contract and find it's own state, then in the dry spell (If we get one!) I'll coat it.

They sound PERFECT! How do they work then? How wide are they at the tops? The wood is 1 1/2" Could you post a piccy of them?

Can't really get a pic as all the runs are un use at the moment but it has worked perfectly for me and makes washing out the runs much easyer too! My wood was same size as yours and they are only help on by one central screw anyway.

plastic beading would be a good idea. Its used mostly on upvc windows and doors. Its usualy about 10mm thick a coule of inches wide and as long as you want. The best paint/preserver I've used is ronseal fence life. Its vevy thick, waxy and covers raely well.

Back