• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My boys first show

Samantha

Alpha Buck
Unfortunately I couldn't get a babysitter on Saturday so my friend took my rabbit to a show for me and another friend took some pictures for me. He gained 1st place French Lop u5 and 3rd place lop challenge u5. Here are the pictures of his day out

Rupert.jpg

rupert1.jpg

rupert2.jpg

rupert3.jpg

on the last picture he is being supported underneath and not held by his ears despite how it looks on the picture.

I am so pleased with his achievements on his first ever show :D

there realy good pictures.did you take them?well done.shows nervy places arent they?gosh how white are his feet?he must be kept spotless.mine just dig:lol:

No it was Romiley young farmers show and he was happy after his day trip out running around that evening with his favourite toy in his mouth :love::love:

i dont think i would let my bunny be handled like that even if he was supported by his bum as nothing is supporting his back and i have to say the cages look dismally small:( sorry not a fan of shows.. but cute bunny all the same.

He is a sweetie but I'm against rabbit showing. The tents are nearly always stiflingly hot, the cages are tiny and the constant close up attention of strangers must be very stressful, never mind the manhandling. Do you think it's really necessary to put him through that, for your own satisfaction?

ive took my bunnies to a shows before, they seem to love it, the cages aren't that bad, they are only in them a few hours, they have plenty hay, water, toys, they can turn around, hope a few hops either side and stand on the back legs. Surely there are rabbits LIVING in cages smaller than this all there life :shock:

Also my bunnies do not mind being picked up supporting there bum like that too. I asked a show judge before about why they pick them up like that, he said its the safest way as there bun, spine and back legs are protected by your hand, the ear holding is just to hold there head up so they don't bend at the spine, they do not actually pull at there ears at all.

I have seen people handle bunnies alot worse before. i do not agree with the continous breeding but the shows i am ok with. Every person who has handled my bunnies at a show i haven't had a problem with. :D

Added - The shows i have been to, have spray bottles available, windows open and they are never in a tent they are actually in a cool room. (usually a comunity centre) MY bunnies actually love the attention, its actually made them healthy because they are used to traveling in there box and hearing seeing different people and noises, so it takes alot for something to scare or startle them which is what i wanted.

Last edited:
My boy as fully loved :love::love: and very well handled. He was absolutely fine with the show and it really is only a small amount of time throughout his life in a pen. I bred him myself, I would never breed a doe more than twice a year and their hutchs at home are very spacious and they have lots of time out of their hutchs. I am so proud of my boy I love him so much and him doing well at a show is something extra to be proud of him for :love::love: I love all my rabbits different personalities and he is the playful one :love::love:

Well done:wave:. I started showing one of my rabbits in pet classes this earlier this year, she has won 3 1st prizes in the three shows she has been to, I have just got a dutch buck to show properly. I don't breed ,my buns are pets first I wouldn't show them if they got stressed either at the show or traveling(I only show local and in halls not agri shows)

Unfortunately I couldn't get a babysitter on Saturday so my friend took my rabbit to a show for me and another friend took some pictures for me. He gained 1st place French Lop u5 and 3rd place lop challenge u5. Here are the pictures of his day out

Rupert.jpg

rupert1.jpg

rupert2.jpg

rupert3.jpg

on the last picture he is being supported underneath and not held by his ears despite how it looks on the picture.

I am so pleased with his achievements on his first ever show :D

If I'm honest without sounding rude I'd deck someone if they held my bun like the last pic! The bun doesn't look happy at all :(

As I have asked on another thread why do they have to hold them like that :?

What are the judges looking for exactly :?

Back