PDA

View Full Version : his bottom teeth ahve fell out !!!

Bramble
22-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Our rabbit Bramble lost one of his bottom teeth about 2 months ago, we went to the vets etc and they said everything seemed fine and he must have bit something to make it fall out, they checked his weighed (1.4kg) and we have been checking it every week and no change so we thought everything would be ok, apart from maybe getting his teeth burred a bit more regularly (he goes quite often anyways).

We have just been on holiday for a week and Bramble went on his holidays to stay with a friend of ours, we have just checked his teeth and he has lost the other bottom one !!. So that means he only has his two top ones left. We have only discovered this an hour or so ago but weighted him and he is still 1.4kg. Any ideas how this could be happening? What we should do now.... he still seems to be eating ok but no idea how.

There doesn't seem to be anything about it on the internet, has anybody ever come across this before?

http://i29.tinypic.com/33kgokk.jpg

prettylupin
23-07-2009, 09:50 AM
I would expect that he has had a bang or knock to his jaw, or perhaps had a fall at some point? It would take this sort of force to fracture the teeth at the roots. It may have been that he fractured them a while ago, and the action of chewing has worked them loose so that they finally fall out?
My bun had a fall and bumped his chin and fractured his incisor (front) teeth. They didn't even seem wobbly the night he did it but the next morning at the vet they had worked themselves loose and she removed both lower incisors - both had fractured at the root. He was given metacam overnight before seeing the vet for pain relief. Did your vet not examine the other teeth?
It is possible also that if it were a fracture that there may be some further damage to the jaw itself, perhaps a hairline fracture along the mandible? I would think that he would need a thorough examination and possibly a head Xray to check for any damage - especially if he is showing discomfort eating or is off his food completely? If so, urgent veterinary attention is needed.
Potentially he could have some sort of periapical abcess? Infection around the tooth root could perhaps cause the tooth to fall out? I think a vet check up immediately is a must. As long as the stem cells are not damaged the teeth should regrow pretty quickly. Good luck :)

abbymarysmokey
23-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Sometimes the teeth will become very brittle if there is an infection in the root.

If you can see white in the 'holes' then that could be pus, and a visit to the vet is needed for some antibiotics

bunlover
23-07-2009, 10:16 AM
i have expeirinaced it with hamsters if there is an infection in either the root of the tooth or in the gum (which is not always visable) the teeth can become very loose and then when the animal trys to eat something they fall out, i expect it is the smae in rabbits? try a course of antibiotics x

another idea a knock to jaw or borken jaw?
a calcium deficiency? x