• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What type of brush do you use for moulting rabbits?

Wuezybun

Warren Scout
My short haired rabbits are still moulting loads and I've been brushing them with a brush made up of pins (http://www.petsathome.com/find/keyword-is-brush/product-is-18854) but it really doesn't seem to be getting much of the loose fur off.

Can anybody recommend a brush that works a bit better? I've seen some dog brushes that promise to remove loose hair but I don't know if these are safe for rabbits. I don't want to hurt the poor little buns, just remove the fur a bit more tidily than by stroking it off to float throughout the house!

I use a comb-type one, like the one in the top right of this set. It has small teeth so it gets the loose hair pretty well. Have to be careful with it though because the teeth can be quite sharp and if there are any knots in the fur it can snag and hurt your bunny.
Also if I see the new fur growing underneath I sometimes pluck my rabbit's fur out myself. I don't know how most bunnies would put up with this but Pipkin seems to enjoy it :lol:

Thanks. I hadn't seen that one in the small animal section, just a similar larger one for dogs which I wasn't sure was suitable for rabbits. I'll get myself one and see how my rabbits enjoy it.

I use a furminator too on all my animals (except my rex-type rabbit) and have to agree it IS fab!!! You have to use it very gently with the rabbits (as you would with all brushes) but it seems to be fine and they don't mind it. It isn't cheep but is well worth the money

Thanks. I hadn't seen that one in the small animal section, just a similar larger one for dogs which I wasn't sure was suitable for rabbits. I'll get myself one and see how my rabbits enjoy it.

I'd recommend the pink rubber zoom groom! We use that for both our buns - one long haired, one short haired, it works very well. We also just use our hands to remove the shedding tufts. :wave:

I use a comb-type one, like the one in the top right of this set. It has small teeth so it gets the loose hair pretty well. Have to be careful with it though because the teeth can be quite sharp and if there are any knots in the fur it can snag and hurt your bunny.
Also if I see the new fur growing underneath I sometimes pluck my rabbit's fur out myself. I don't know how most bunnies would put up with this but Pipkin seems to enjoy it :lol:

I agree with this.. the best comb to use fro malting animals is the one in the picture! But yeah be careful if there is knotts its does pull at them so be gentle.

The best way to remove fluff from a moulting rabbit is to wet your hands slightly and run them all over the rabbit. The loose fur sticks to your hands and can just be rolled into a ball and thrown away.

I am a bad bunny mummy, because I never brush my rabbits. I will pull out lose hair and mats, but I don't routinely brush rabbits. Even my lionheads seem fine without my help. But if I did, I would use a flea comb. :)

Vera

I use a furminator too on all my animals (except my rex-type rabbit) and have to agree it IS fab!!! You have to use it very gently with the rabbits (as you would with all brushes) but it seems to be fine and they don't mind it. It isn't cheep but is well worth the money

Why not for your rex? I am on my fourth brush for Frankie (my mini rex) now to try and sort his moult but none are any good

We got a furminator for our kitty and it's brilliant for her. I used it on Alfie but he didn't like it much at all - the teeth are more like blades & it says to be careful on delicate skin, so I'm thinking it was too harsh for him. I don't routinely brush my bunnies either though, but usually use my hands.

I am a bad bunny mummy, because I never brush my rabbits. I will pull out lose hair and mats, but I don't routinely brush rabbits. Even my lionheads seem fine without my help. But if I did, I would use a flea comb. :)

Vera

Awww, you're not a bad bunny mummy - my Beau is an onlybun, so he has no1 to do the tricky bits for him - his fringe is the worst, tho when OH brushes it he gives him "The Boris Johnson" :love: (tho officially I don't approve :lol: )

Back