• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So glad I vaccinate

lotsofsmoggies

Mama Doe
I walked past two wild buns today who quite clearly had mixy. The first I had seen before the weekend now there is two. The second is more lively and ran away but only after I made a load of noise.

I so wish I could help them. But I look at them and picture my buns, I have to walk on. I hope tomorrow they have gone. :cry:

Could you not get a box and put them in it and take them to the vets to be pts? I cannot walk past an animal suffering and have even stopped my car to pick one up off the road.

I personally think that for a wild bun, the stress of picking it up and carting it off to the vets would be overwhelming for it and cause it more distress perhaps than just leaving it to be picked off quickly by nature's own methods which tend to be very quick....e.g. fox, buzzard etc. Wild buns are not used to people or being handled. Then how would the vet euthanase it? I doubt they would be able to hold bun still enough to catheterise in the ear vein so it would have to be a conscious cardiac/liver injection??
Unless you are fully prepped yourself with a change of clothes, disinfectant etc. you then risk transmitting it to your own buns through contact of discharges/fleas etc.
I HATE seeing Myxi buns in the wild, it brings me to tears everytime, it is a cruel and painful disease that we as human beings have inflicted upon rabbits, but I too would walk on by for all of the above reasons. I have rescued plenty of wild animals in my time, but I feel that there is not anything that can be done for a wild Myxi bun without causing it even more distress and risking my own buns in the process. :(:(

I personally think that for a wild bun, the stress of picking it up and carting it off to the vets would be overwhelming for it and cause it more distress perhaps than just leaving it to be picked off quickly by nature's own methods which tend to be very quick....e.g. fox, buzzard etc. Wild buns are not used to people or being handled. Then how would the vet euthanase it? I doubt they would be able to hold bun still enough to catheterise in the ear vein so it would have to be a conscious cardiac/liver injection??
Unless you are fully prepped yourself with a change of clothes, disinfectant etc. you then risk transmitting it to your own buns through contact of discharges/fleas etc.
I HATE seeing Myxi buns in the wild, it brings me to tears everytime, it is a cruel and painful disease that we as human beings have inflicted upon rabbits, but I too would walk on by for all of the above reasons. I have rescued plenty of wild animals in my time, but I feel that there is not anything that can be done for a wild Myxi bun without causing it even more distress and risking my own buns in the process. :(:(

i do understnad how you feel but i would opt to take to vets everytime to be truthful if they are ill enough to be wild and caught the vet can ethanase as it would a domestic rabbit via ear vein etc. and i agree to disinfect yourself but remember that myxi is transmitted by bodily fluid contact and by biting insects it is vhd you really need to worry about transmitting and while the domestic vaccinated rabbit can catch myxi it is the nodular form only. i am not saying anyone should risk thier bunnys but i personally have to take to the vet i suppose if you felt abel to (not sure i could) you could run the rabbit over with a car at high speed so it was instant? though i personally think a vet trip is knidest. as for it being a failry wuick death natrually i can assure you it isnt it is a painful death and is slow often an animal that is diseased will not be picked off by other wild animals and will mooch until it is on the road and hit by a cyclist or car or lies in the bushes to die. it is a very painful and distressing way to go. sorry to upset anyone but i always take to vets if i can. x

We lost all 8 of our pet buns, except one, to Myxi one summer when I was a child - I'm fully aware of how painful a death it is! There were no vaccinations in the 80's, and yes Myxi can be spread by the discharge from a sick bun i'm afraid, and buns can also die of nodular/cutaneous Myxi, although the risks of recovery are better if vaccinated.
I would never advocate running a Myxi rabbit over though, that would be unbearable for me personally. :( But I would also not stop along a busy main road and put other road users at risk. Were I in a position with a change of clothes/carrier/disinfectant all set up in my car and on a country lane and close to a vet, and the bun in question were unresponsive and able to be picked up without distress, then I would of course do something, i'm not heartless. :(
I have rescued pretty much everything from woodpecker to hare from British roads over the years. Wildies that have been knocked down, jumped out at traffic lights for an injured wood pigeon, stopped to check a cat or fox was actually dead before alerting the RSPCA. But a Myxi bun, unless fully prepared to deal with it without risk to my own buns and other road users, is not a risk i'm prepared to take, as much as it breaks my heart and stirs some very painful memories of my own rabbits. :(

i do understnad how you feel but i would opt to take to vets everytime to be truthful if they are ill enough to be wild and caught the vet can ethanase as it would a domestic rabbit via ear vein etc. and i agree to disinfect yourself but remember that myxi is transmitted by bodily fluid contact and by biting insects it is vhd you really need to worry about transmitting and while the domestic vaccinated rabbit can catch myxi it is the nodular form only. i am not saying anyone should risk thier bunnys but i personally have to take to the vet i suppose if you felt abel to (not sure i could) you could run the rabbit over with a car at high speed so it was instant? though i personally think a vet trip is knidest. as for it being a failry wuick death natrually i can assure you it isnt it is a painful death and is slow often an animal that is diseased will not be picked off by other wild animals and will mooch until it is on the road and hit by a cyclist or car or lies in the bushes to die. it is a very painful and distressing way to go. sorry to upset anyone but i always take to vets if i can. x

Before I got buns, I did take a wild bun to the vets - I'd hit it with my car - but it had myxi & was pts. After losing one of my own buns recently to myxi (she had been vaccinated a few weeks before), I don't think I would risk taking myxi home with me. My bun was indoors - & due to garden work hadn't been outside for about 2 weeks. I might see if a vet would come out, but I would be personally staying away.

We have many myxi buns here that I have helped to the bridge. However - at the moment if I saw one I am affraid I would have to get someone else to deal with it as I have 1 mother and her 4 babies here that aren't vaccinated and I would not put them at risk.

I couldn't have left the poor rabbits there... I would put them out of their misery myself in all honestly, if I ever came to that scenario. :cry: Hope they pass quickly though.

When I worked at a rescue centre we had allot of buns with Mixy on the fields and some of the staff couldnt bare to see them suffer so they would hit them over the head with a brick so they didnt have to suffer any more. Sounds terrible and I could never do it.

Today there was sign of the bunnies. I couldn't just pick it up or do any thing else as I go walking with my dog, 2 year old (almost) in a push chair and my 4 year daughter. It was hard enough explaining why those rabbits where 'not scared'.

I hope they are both out of their misery now.

I couldn't have left the poor rabbits there... I would put them out of their misery myself in all honestly, if I ever came to that scenario. :cry: Hope they pass quickly though.

I have put a couple of very far gone myxi wildies out or their misery myself. I didn't like doing it, but my conscience wouldn't let me leave them :(

Hello when i was little i remember that my dad found a wild bunny and i remember him pushing us away and saying it had myxy and he pts with a rock and said it was the most horrible thing to have to do but we were all in the middle of nowhere really and it was suffering and dying. I can see why it needs to be done but dont know if i would have the strength to do it myself.
Coco1200 Is hermione on utube? the name is unusual and it looks like the same giant bun that i have saved to my favourite vids for big buns.
I had 8 buns who had to be pts with myxy years and years ago before the vacinations, but they were outside buns and it is only now when trying to adopt another bun that i was told that indoor buns can get it too. So mine are now vaccinated and staying that way. Rabbit injections are relatively cheap compared to cat ones which are a horrendous price and apparently there is controversy over whether they are needed in later years as theywill have had so many boosters.
x

I have put a couple of very far gone myxi wildies out or their misery myself. I didn't like doing it, but my conscience wouldn't let me leave them :(

gaaah, it must be awful to do it. It puts them out of their suffering though.

peppa - it most probably was my Hermy :) She was the only giant girlie who had that name, as far as I was aware... Unfortunatley I lost her after she had a spay :cry:

Oh god that is awful, was it just the stress of the operation. She looks so beautiful. You must really miss her. Do you have more bunnies now?

Back