• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

matts uri 'snuffles' - *a very hoppy little bun bun at the minute!*

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
i rang the vets yesterday and they said matts test results were back from his tests for his uri. (see other threads) and the vet will ring me today to discuss.

i don't usually get positive but since he had them done i've had a good feeling that something will show on them this time. i don't know why. but then they've come back after a week aswell which is good, because last time they tried for nearly three weeks to grow the bacteria from his nose and nothing happened so we had a negative result.

i've been up since really early just waiting by the phone. i NEED to know!!!

matt is doing really bunged up sneezes and is uncomfortable when he's trying to sleep, although he is happy aswell, but he really needs to get on the right treatment asap.

just praying that the results will tell us what medication will treat him best, as nothing we have tried has worked so far.

fingers crossed people!

Last edited:
no, nothing. he should have rang yesterday and i waited all day and then rang them at 4pm and the woman said he had gone home! he better not have done the same again today!

do you think i should ring again? i feel like i'm nagging. but i need to know!

*update*

right, just spoken to the vet and the lab managed to grow a sample of the bacteria and it's a disease causing bacteria (?)

also, the strange thing is that they tested nine antibiotics with it and all nine killed it, and that included the penicillin, zithromax and fortum that he's already been on.

so it looks like the mucus is so thick in the nasal cavities that the antibiotic isn't 'getting through'

so matt is now going on a new antibiotic which is more a mucus breaking type one, aswell as being a treatment for the infection and that will hopefully break the stubborn mucus down and allow the antibiotic to work effectively.

he also has to be nebulised (i think that is what the word was, could be wrong though) so i'm going to pick up the equipment tomorrow. i rent the equipment out. he has to be in an enclosed space twice a day and this mucus thinning stuff combined with water will be 'steamed' into the space for him to breathe in.

the antibiotic he is having at the same time i can't remember the name of, but it's a tablet and he is going to have half a tablet a day.

the vet talked for a while and said lots of things and i can't remember everything so that is the general info i got.

i'm sure there is people on here that have to do this with their buns so if anyone can explain clearer than me then please do. or if anyone has any tips etc.

right, that's all i can think of!

Last edited:
Thanks for updating us. I'll pm you about something that works with humans in this situation, but you need to ask the vet if it would help Matt - buns are a bit different design from us!

bunny in a nebuliser

026.jpg

bunny in a nebuliser

026.jpg

this doesn't look very nice. are they usually ok? the vet said most rabbits like it and seem to know it is helping them?

when he said an enclosed space i thought he meant like a room or something! does it have to be like this, or can it be when he is in his carrier aswell? or is none of the steam supposed to come back out?

i'm worried matt will get stressed in this. he has to have 15-20 minutes twice a day.

this doesn't look very nice. are they usually ok? the vet said most rabbits like it and seem to know it is helping them?

when he said an enclosed space i thought he meant like a room or something! does it have to be like this, or can it be when he is in his carrier aswell? or is none of the steam supposed to come back out?

i'm worried matt will get stressed in this. he has to have 15-20 minutes twice a day.

Perhaps Matt could be given some nice food whilst he is in there? I don't know if that will disrupt the process but I can't imagine why - he would still be breathing in the gas mix. That way he might associate being in the box with a pleasant experience?! :D

Perhaps Matt could be given some nice food whilst he is in there? I don't know if that will disrupt the process but I can't imagine why - he would still be breathing in the gas mix. That way he might associate being in the box with a pleasant experience?! :D

yeh, i could try that, but they usually refuse food when in the carrier or somewhere different etc. but it's worth a go.

i'm hoping the vet will say him being in his carrier will be ok.

how would you make the carrier airtight?

i reakon a dark box instead of a see thro one would be more soothing, must be horrible to think you have to stress your little man to make him better :(

hope the vet agrees to the carrier

The only problem with a dark box is that you wouldn't be able to monitor bunny inside it without looking which would defeat the object of an enclosed environment! And then you end up with a Schroedinger's cat situation! :? I'm tempted to say Schroedinger's Matt...but I'm guessing a joke is the last thing on your mind! :oops::)
I think a clear box is best, you can keep an eye on him in there, give him some food so it's a 'good' place to be and maybe pick a time of day when he's naturally sleepy anwyay like lunchtime or late morning?
I do hope it all goes well. Good luck :)

i am upset at the thought of him inside a small box like that, but the vet said it just looks awful and the majority of rabbits actually like it because the vapours start to thin the mucus and help them feel like they can breathe better.

i'll just have to give it a go if it is what the vet says matt needs.

i'm lucky that matt is so tolerable of lots of things. he's a good boy. :love:

initially the nebuliser is for two weeks, maybe three so not that long really.

i'll see how he gets on. hopefully he won't mind.

i don't see the carrier being ok because it wouldn't be airtight. but then again, people 'steam' buns in a bathroom so it might still do something???

i thought of putting him in the bathroom but then i don't know what i would do with bisc. i don't know if bisc can breathe it in if he doesn't need it, and i can't separate them because they hate it.

i'll see what they say at the vets tomorrow. i've got to go and get the nebuliser and matts new antibiotics etc.

matt is having trouble when he sleeps with his breathing because he is all blocked up. but he's still being cheeky! and he seems happy enough the rest of the time.

i really really love him so much and i hope this treatment will make him better this time. :love::love::love:

Back