• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vhd?

qwertyuiop

Young Bun
My rabbit was fine this morning...had her treat etc, and I went out to her hutch this evening and shes incredibly lethargic, runny nose, sneezing, really 'heavy' and floppy. She's hardly moving and stays wherever I put her. She also won't eat anything. I'm worried it might be VHD and I know there is nothing I can do if thats the case, but she does live with other rabbits, is it likely they might get it too??:(

As VHD is a virus, there is a chance. Take her to the vet ASAP (let them know you think its is VHD as thats an emergency) and they should be able to let you know what it is. If the vet thinks its VHD, make sure you make him know you have other rabbits, you may be able to vaccinate them to try and help them... I am not sure what the incubation period is?

Sorry about your sick bunny, hope all goes well!!

Thankyou...do I definitely have to separate them...I imagine if theyre gonna get it it they'll already have it passed on to them now wont they?! Its just that she keeps snuggling up to them :(

And I think the incubation period is 12 - 48 hours after exposure to the virus.

I am no expert but my first thought if a rabbit is sneezing and has a runny nose would be Pasturella or an upper respiratory tract infection.

Whatever he needs veterinary treatment urgently. If he were mine I would call my vet and at very least get him the first appointment in the morning.

Why do you think it could be VHD.

I'm with Dustyrabbit, i would have thought it sounds more like Pasturella. But either way it needs a vet straight away!! Sending vibes xx

were the other rabbits vaccinated? if not get them done asap to protect them from this horrible virus. so sorrry to hear about your loss at the first sign of symptoms a rabbit should be rushed to the vets as they are prey animals they hide things well so by the time symptoms are showing it can be mmore serious than it appears. x

Sorry for your loss, but it doesn't sound like VHD to me. If any of your other rabbits present symptoms like that, or for any other illness you should take them to the vet immediately. There's every chance they would survive if they were in the appropriate place. Leaving them like that is an assured way to let them pass, if a rabbit is floppy you shouldn't wait until the next day before seeking veterinary attention.

I hope your other rabbits are ok, and once again I am sorry for your loss :cry:

She said it could have possibly been VHD, that the symptoms seem like it, but it could also possibly have been something else. Whatever way it seems she was too far gone by the time she showed symptoms to have saved her :(
I've just had my other 2 vaccinated today, just got to wait and see how they go. Its all very frustrating because they were due their vaccinations now anyway...!

Thanks for all your comments x

Aww, I am sorry for your loss.

Perhaps you should get a number for your vets for out of hours??

I specifically chose my vets because they had an emergency line and are able to see out of hours in case of events like this.

I hope your other two make it!

Back