• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny is non stop molting. Any ideas why?

bunnytoes

Warren Veteran
Julie molted her winter coat and ever since has been in a molting loop. It is very strange. She has never done this before. Once the new coat grows in she starts shedding all over again. She is an Californian breed and stays indoors. You can see her in my siggey. Usually in July her ears, nose and feet will turn from dark brown/black to light gray and stay that way until October when she molts. This year during the non stop molting process only her feet turned light gray her nose and ears are still dark. I brush her daily and get bags full of hair each time. It is very hot outside but she does not go out. The temp pretty much stays the same inside. Any ideas what is going on? She acts perfectly healthy and normal. Has anyone heard of a rabbit molting non stop? Is it a sign of any kind of medical condition?

Julie molted her winter coat and ever since has been in a molting loop. It is very strange. She has never done this before. Once the new coat grows in she starts shedding all over again. She is an Californian breed and stays indoors. You can see her in my siggey. Usually in July her ears, nose and feet will turn from dark brown/black to light gray and stay that way until October when she molts. This year during the non stop molting process only her feet turned light gray her nose and ears are still dark. I brush her daily and get bags full of hair each time. It is very hot outside but she does not go out. The temp pretty much stays the same inside. Any ideas what is going on? She acts perfectly healthy and normal. Has anyone heard of a rabbit molting non stop? Is it a sign of any kind of medical condition?

You've answered your own question! ;) Rabbits exposed to 'constant' temperatures and particularly mild constant temperatures e.g. house rabbits will often have a continuous moult i'm afraid. Seasonal changes and temperature changes are what usually trigger and end moults. One of my house buns also moults continuously! :)

That's interesting. My house rabbits have moulted loads more than usual this year too. It's a real pain as my OH is allergic and last year the moulting only seemed to be for a few weeks whereas this year it seems to have gone on for about 3 months. I've even bought a 'cat and dog' vacuum cleaner to deal with it and I keep needing to change the bag.

Maybe as we had a really cold winter this year we had the heating on more than the year before and so the temperature in the house stayed more constant?

hmmmmmmmmmmm okay. That makes sense but the thing is she will be turning five and has never done this before. I have had her since she was a baby. In fact I have only ever had house rabbits. We have central heat and air and always have in this house. This is unusual for her. So it is perfectly normal? Nothing to worry about?

That's interesting. My house rabbits have moulted loads more than usual this year too. It's a real pain as my OH is allergic and last year the moulting only seemed to be for a few weeks whereas this year it seems to have gone on for about 3 months. I've even bought a 'cat and dog' vacuum cleaner to deal with it and I keep needing to change the bag.

Maybe as we had a really cold winter this year we had the heating on more than the year before and so the temperature in the house stayed more constant?

My OH is also allergic to rabbits. Something that really helps him is Allergy Relief by Simple Solution. It is made for cats but safe to put on rabbits. You put it on the bunny once a week and it really helps with the dander. I also recently bought a brush called the FURminator. It is a deshedding tool and really helps to remove the undercoat and loose hair. These 2 things really have made a big difference in my OH's allergies. Julie is a bunny that loves to be brushed and groom. She seems to really like the FURminator. Not sure if you have a PetSmart near you but that is where I bought both.

HI,

I have a very furry lionhead and he also seems to moult continously. My french lop doesnt.

It could be due to the temp in the house. Stevie my lionhead as been like this since we got him three years ago. Im constantly unblocking the hooover and was very embarrssed when i took some cookies into work and there was a rabbit hair in one.

You do have to brush them alot more when moulting otherwise they could get alot of fur in the gut which can cause a blockage.

Erica

Back