• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How intelligent are bunnies??

Danielle84

Mama Doe
I was just wondering how clever buns are?

I was taking the cubes off Timmy's pen earlier and he was chewing them as i was taking them off, surely he should know that he is being let free :lol:

I was just wondering how clever buns are?

I was taking the cubes off Timmy's pen earlier and he was chewing them as i was taking them off, surely he should know that he is being let free :lol:

Perhaps he was assisting you to get the job done quicker! ;) Chewing is often a sign of frustration! :)

When I'm pouring the water into Timmy's water bowl he decides to start drinking and gets soaked :lol:

He must be quite clever as if the biscuit tin is left out, he helps himself to a fruit shortie :lol: :roll: naughty Timmy :no:

One of my rabbits will wait by the gate of their enclosure when he hears me. As i open the gate he will run out of it and head for the nearest pot of plants. He will then eat as much as he can and run back in again before i can get to him !!

Sophie knows if she leans on the run panels that go around the safe area in the garden, then sometimes they will fall over. none of my other buns do this. Also if there is an escape route, she remembers where it is. Sometimes I think she would rather have been born a wildie, cos she does act like one

Charlie knows his name perfectly, knows the word "no" (but doesn't care what it means). He also knows that when I say "Bed" he's to go back in the hutch.
He knows when I'm watching him, and will only be naughty when I'm not looking (and he sits and stares at me till I look away - and then resumes pulling up the carpet).
I think I have him fairly well trained? :)

How intelligent are they? It's widdling it down with rain, they have a lovely big hutch with vetbed and where are they? Sat under the step in the run. Did I mention the step has lots of holes in the top of it? :roll:

if i set up the folding run in the house, tabitha goes from join to join, checking which one i haven't fastened properly, so she can escape. if that doesn't work, she head butts the join to push the run out of shape and make a gap...

its a double run by the way, twelve sections. she just doesn't like being contained...

Amazingly bright.
When he was a baby mine took a vehement dislike to a standard filled litter tray. It was too heavy to pick up in his mouth, so he scrabbled some litter out, tried again, & kept repeating the process until he could pick up the tray in his mouth & throw it out of the door!!! Made a strong point to me, "I can't stand this - get rid of it". .......so I did.

OK How old would a human child have to be to work out the same thing, with no prior teaching AND communicate effectively to an alien species which used a communication system we ain't got? Cos my bun is no different to any other, & he's done this sort of thing over & over again. They can be bloomin manipulative too!!!

They just don't see the world the same way we do. There's still some wildie instinct "It's a dangerous place out there" - cats, foxes, magpies, sparrowhawks, in my garden alone. They use different senses, hearing, smell, even vibration, & rely less on vision than we do. I haven't begun to scratch the surface understanding mine yet. I was gob smacked when I 1st began to realize how bright they are.

My buns know their names i believe as the differentiate between the two, if i call Frankie he comes to me and same for Fidget.

I think they are a lot more intelligent than people assume. I don't know about anyone else but if there is something they want to get (food mainly) i can almost see them planning how to get it, especially Frankie, clever little sod!

Sometimes scarily intelligent. Then they do something really stupid like jumping on the arm of the sofa and falling off the other side :lol:

Sometimes scarily intelligent. Then they do something really stupid like jumping on the arm of the sofa and falling off the other side :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Timmy does that all the time, and he tries to climb up the bookshelf and has fell a few times! Oh..and he also cleans himself on the arm of the sofa and sometimes...almost falls off :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Timmy does that all the time, and he tries to climb up the bookshelf and has fell a few times! Oh..and he also cleans himself on the arm of the sofa and sometimes...almost falls off :lol:

lol and dora climbs up to the back of sofa then sits there frightened trying to get down but to scared to until you pick her up and move her down needless to say she enjoys being a garden bunny much much more!!!

I think they are VERY intelligent and down right crafty:roll:

A few examples is that Amber knows where i can reach and where i can't. If i want her to come up for bedtime she will sit under the ramp and start cleaning herself. Biccie tins, greens, pleading and russling will don't get her to budge. I swear if she could, she'd give me the 'V' sign:lol:

If i go out and even as much as open the back door with the intention of picking her up, she knows and will proceed to her position under the ramp, i've tried different times etc. She will come back out as soon as she hears the door close. If i go out without the intention of picking her up, there she is wanting a cuddle:?

She also cleans up and will put all her toys in a pile and will put her ball in her food bowl all the time

I think they are very clever and it makes me feel very sad to know there are buns out there (none of ours on here of course) who live in a too tiny hutch and never get to show just how clever they are. It never fails to amaze me when I return from holiday and Ty, Bru and Sparkle come back from Kayj's and they all remember exactly where everything is.
They know the word "treat" the word "in" (as that means time for bed) and Sparkle (who I have to admit is by far the cleverest but then she is a girl lol) will put her head on Ty or Bru (depending on who I am trying to stroke) so that the only head I can actually stroke is Sparkle's. Let's face it they can be littered trained (just like cats) will come for treats (just like cats) and do people think cats should be cooped up in a tiny hutch NO!

I think they are very clever and it makes me feel very sad to know there are buns out there (none of ours on here of course) who live in a too tiny hutch and never get to show just how clever they are. It never fails to amaze me when I return from holiday and Ty, Bru and Sparkle come back from Kayj's and they all remember exactly where everything is.
They know the word "treat" the word "in" (as that means time for bed) and Sparkle (who I have to admit is by far the cleverest but then she is a girl lol) will put her head on Ty or Bru (depending on who I am trying to stroke) so that the only head I can actually stroke is Sparkle's. Let's face it they can be littered trained (just like cats) will come for treats (just like cats) and do people think cats should be cooped up in a tiny hutch NO!

Totally agree! They are super bunnies :love:

Back