• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Steroid injections

angeleyes

Warren Veteran
So worried Lionel is to have a steroid injection on Thursday *trembles with fear*
He has had terrible rapid breathing and mouth breathing for weeks now, he had a course of baytril and then septrin which did nothing.
He then had depocilin on which he made an improvement, enough for Christabel to then count his bpm which was 240, i have been counting him too and he is around 200 now and has been for 2 weeks so the depocilin has helped but not anywhere near enough.
Next step is steroid injection, if he has an underlying infection (which could possibly be an abcess as he has a bad history with them) then the steroid will make him worse :( I have a bad feeling about all of this :cry:
Does anyone have experience with steroid injections? Anyone had bad reactions to them?

Vinnie had two steroid injections for his rapid breathing it worked really well and was so much better,i even injected him myself!

Yes, I have two Buns on steroids at the moment.
One with the same symptoms as Lionel. Whilst they are a 'last resort' treatment and they only mask symptoms rather than cure the problem they do greatly improve quality of life.
My Sarah was on them for 11 months. 11 months of good quality life that she would not otherwise have had. Christabel would not use a steroid without trying all other options first.

Good luck for Thursday

xx

Pearl has had two since she started with her breathing.. the first one worked wonders the second one as far as i could tell made no difference :?

im scared of steroids myself and ive got tablets i should be giving from tomorrow, but Lou said without an obvious need for them they could cause more halm than good...

so confused myself now.... who to trust... a rabbit rescue with hundreds of rabbits or a stumped vet who cant find a problem :?:?

sending loads of vibes for Lionel, i really hope the injection makes him feel better xxxx

Yes, I have two Buns on steroids at the moment.
One with the same symptoms as Lionel. Whilst they are a 'last resort' treatment and they only mask symptoms rather than cure the problem they do greatly improve quality of life.
My Sarah was on them for 11 months. 11 months of good quality life that she would not otherwise have had. Christabel would not use a steroid without trying all other options first.

Good luck for Thursday

xx

Thanks Jane, i do trust Christabel 100% i am just scared for my little man and if he has a hidden abcess somewhere and i make it worse for him :cry:

Pearl has had two since she started with her breathing.. the first one worked wonders the second one as far as i could tell made no difference :?

im scared of steroids myself and ive got tablets i should be giving from tomorrow, but Lou said without an obvious need for them they could cause more halm than good...

so confused myself now.... who to trust... a rabbit rescue with hundreds of rabbits or a stumped vet who cant find a problem :?:?

sending loads of vibes for Lionel, i really hope the injection makes him feel better xxxx

Thanks hun, its so hard isn't it :( Did they try pearl on any other antibiotics than baytril as the Depocilin did make an improvement for Lionel just not enough as he was so bad x

Thanks hun, its so hard isn't it :( Did they try pearl on any other antibiotics than baytril as the Depocilin did make an improvement for Lionel just not enough as he was so bad x

shes had baytril and a thing called bisolvon. she had two injections of dexadreson and today has been sent home with prenisolone tablets.. i have no idea what all them fancy names are tho and im too tired to look them up on google :oops:

of them all, i think within in days of using bisolvon her snorting cleared up and her breathing does seem less of an effort even if it is still too fast for my liking... it says its for cattle and pigs with resparitary (sp) problems

Donna - bisolvon is a pretty inert substance, it just thins the mucus. Santa has it when she has a snuffly bout, it really helps because the thinner mucus helps the pus to drain away a little more easily. Prednisolone is a steroid - my old puss Sooty (now RIP) was on them for a couple of years and they really helped him.

Katie - hope Lionel is ok and responds well to the steroid xx

I have my little Charlie on steroid injections, she has been on them for nearly two months now for neurological problems (she lost all co-ordination and had seizures)! It was either that or PTS... and I am so glad that she has them! She is still very skinny, but eating plenty and otherwise happy and lively! She has an excellent quality of life. She will remain on weekly steroid injections until either the steroid or the neurological condition put an end to her life! Until then, we are enjoying every day we get with her as a bonus - and so is she! :love:

So yes, as a last resort if nothing else works, then steroids can dramatically improve an animal's quality of life!

Vera

I have my little Charlie on steroid injections, she has been on them for nearly two months now for neurological problems (she lost all co-ordination and had seizures)! It was either that or PTS... and I am so glad that she has them! She is still very skinny, but eating plenty and otherwise happy and lively! She has an excellent quality of life. She will remain on weekly steroid injections until either the steroid or the neurological condition put an end to her life! Until then, we are enjoying every day we get with her as a bonus - and so is she! :love:

So yes, as a last resort if nothing else works, then steroids can dramatically improve an animal's quality of life!

Vera

I am so pleased that Charlie is still with you and enjoying life :)

Back