• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do you think this is sensible.-she's had her op.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
Jess's abscess has started growning again, even though she is on betamox injections, this worked really well the last time.
She has suffered from abscesses before we got her 2 years ago, she is now 6
I have booked her in for another op, but this time have asked for x-rays, the abscess to be lance and a sample sent off to test which antibiotic it is sensitive to.
She goes in on Thursday, and I know the prognosis isn't good, but she is still bright and eating so I want to give her another chance.
Is my plan for the op a sensible one, I'm aware we are probably fighting a tough battle, but she is so strong and bounces back so well, I don't want to give up.

Last edited:
You sound a very caring owner who wants the best for their bun & while she enjoys a good quality of life I think it's worth trying.

Good luck.

Left hand side of her lower jaw.

It is probably a tooth root abscess then.
A skull Xray would hopefully give more info as to the extent of the infection and how much boney involvement there is. That would thus give some idea of prognosis and whether invasive surgery would buy more time.

Did they take a sample from the abscess wall ?
Just sending pus wont tell you anything as Rabbit pus is often sterile.

Well, sensible or not, Jess has had her op.
The bone is fine, no problems there.:) The abscess has been cleaned and samples taken, and we can pick her up tonight. I dread to think what kind of state she is in, but as long as she starts eating fairly quickly, don't care. I've got to try and keep the wound open, and flush it with dilute hibiscrub and keep her on the betamox until we get the sample results back. The abscess had grown a lot even from tuesday, so I hope we can find out what to use on it.

One of my buns had 2 facial abscesses surgically removed in May, and has been on depocillin injections ever since. There is no signs of the abscesses coming back yet. My vet says she always opts for a combination of surgery and antibiotics (usually penicillin) if it's an option.

I've cleaned out Jess's abscess, but it is so swollen. I squeezed as much pus as would come, but I am worried that I am leaving heaps behind. She was obviously sore when I did it, and that puts me off squeezing too hard. Is a lot of swelling common. I can't remember what Samwise was like, and Jess's last abscess was in her mouth so I couldn't see what was going on.:?

Back