• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

special needs rabbit

jesska

Alpha Buck
a little rabbit came into rescue a few weeks with very bad mange, nails that long he coudnt walk it was like he was on ice skates, i really thought i could get him back to health but i kept finding other problem with him. a few days later we found out he is totally blind and and little hearing, i notice this when i was doing the hovering and there was no responce and tuck him straight to the vets, he can still eat and drink fine but bump into a few things.. i think its going to be hard to find him a home :cry: i feel i should keep him but reallly i have enough of my own. hes had hes myxi and vhd and been wormed. and soon he should be castrated in a few weeks time when he puts of a little more weight. do you think i will be able to find him a home? this is my first blind rabbit thats come into recue

Awwww, he sounds gorgeous. I have 2 poor sighted buns here & one is very hard of hearing too. I don't think this is a problem - although one is happier in her own space & doesn't belt around the garden like the others do.

Hi

I have a special needs rabbit. I found out about him from this forum. I'm sure you'll find a home for him. Do you have any pics?

I don't have experience with blind rabbits but I do have a blind guinea pig (who doesn't live with my rabbits) and she manages fine. I don't change her cage set up though because she tends to bump in to things.

I hope he finds a home soon

Leanne

Hi, I have a rabbit that is blind in one eye and another rabbit who has partial slight in one eye. They are both like 'normal' rabbits except I have learnt not to 'creap up' on them on their bad eye (it scares the living daylights out of them) and not to change the hutch (well shed) around too much as they get used to where the hay/water/food is.

My two 'special' rabbits live with another two rabbits (so a bonded group of 4) and they love to speed around the garden. I do notice that sometimes they misjudge things and have a little bump but like I say, they are generally like a 'normal' rabbits.

Having said all of this though, my two 'special' rabbits live with me as I didn't think I would find them a suitable, caring home and also as I have given them so much treatment as babies I couldn't pair to part with them :love:

I think you could find a home, if you wanted to, but it may take a bit of time to find that special person.

Good luck whatever you decide x

I have 2 blind rabbits one of which is only a youngster and is also disabled. I find as long as you keep everything in it's place and keep their play areas always the same so they know their way around there is no problem. :)

hey guys thanks for the response, i know i probably could find the right home but again it will take time. i mean whats will it be like to bond with another rabbit? i would rather berty to stay by himself because i am sure it will just scare him being with another rabbit. Maybe a single indoor house rabbit i feel that would be the best, He never lifts he head its always sniffing around on the floor finding where he needs to go. He living indoors at the minute and he has adaped really well.

hey guys thanks for the response, i know i probably could find the right home but again it will take time. i mean whats will it be like to bond with another rabbit? i would rather berty to stay by himself because i am sure it will just scare him being with another rabbit. Maybe a single indoor house rabbit i feel that would be the best, He never lifts he head its always sniffing around on the floor finding where he needs to go. He living indoors at the minute and he has adaped really well.

He would be better bonded to another bunny as he will be able to use them as a "guide" bunny and be able to follow them around :)

Back