• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My LuLu needs a companion now her sis has died

dorsetguy

New Kit
2 and half years ago My wife (who has always loved bunnies) wanted to get a bunny, and we had an opportunity to have this pair of grey lops (still not sure exact what breed they are?) They were siblings, sisters called Thumper and Lulu.

They were not mis treated, though were bought by prev owners for their kids, usual story, loss of interest...with us they been spoilt rotten, bigger hutch , bigger run, better health care, the best food(excel) plus fresh veg, best hay, toys....recently had built for them a super king-size hutch two story, 6 foot long 2 and half foot deep, large upstairs lounge and large spacey bedroom, down ramp with tunnel and grip to stop slipping, down to large under run, with wire at ends so they get fresh breeze...they love/loved it...sadly recently thumper(Bumpy) died...in my arms...we think she had some small strokes, fist of all VET said weight loss may be worms and infection, fed her via syringe for 2 days and antibiotics..but her head was lopped to one side, she was weak..though with syringe food, she got bit of strength back but crawling around foot at time would exhaust her, while nursing her, she gasped last breath and died in my arms...never thought a grown 40 yr old guy like myself could get SOO devastated over losing one of his buns, she gave us sooo much joy and laughter, she was sooo funny...she was the sporty one, always nosey, dora the explora my wife would call her..investigating and rubbing her chin on everything..as if to say " that's mine!!" , They would chase each other around in the bigger outside run, through the tunnels and obstacle course I would make, kept changing them around through out the day so they would not get bored....Lulu is the more laved back one, but did play with bumpy a lot, and they would wash each other affectionately and snuggle up together...

It's been 3 and half weeks now....since bumpy passed away, we did lay her down in the under run where Lulu was so she could see that bumpy was not responding...she licked her eyeball for ages trying to get her to wake up (strange?) then stepped back sighed, eyes had closed, layed down chin on floor and was sad like that for days, and on and off for 2 weeks after....As devastated as we are..we are now sad for LULU as she has lost her soul mate....and is ALL alone...I want to get her a life companion..been told that another female out of the question , only reason ours got on was because they were siblings and were never apart, so now looking for a neutered male lop, not many in the 3-5 yr age in DORSET rescue centres, hope it will not be long.....if who ever he is is accepted by Lulu he will have a loving home, and will want for nothing!!! I just hope we can find one soon!!!!

pics below.. LuLU is one with large brown eyes, Thumper(bumpy) is smaller one with large pale dulap. bless her..she is missed sooo much

P1020342.jpg

P1020346.jpg

P1030485.jpg

P1030500-1.jpg

P1030531-1.jpg

P1030615-1.jpg

Last edited:
I am so sorry for your loss :(

They never truely leave you, and will alway be in your heart.

We have a few older men here:

Sparrow a 3 year old Lop X
Kitty a 5 year old Lionhead

Sorry not loged on for a while

Hi all
thank you for your response, we have not found Lu Lu a HusBUNed yet, it's not easy finding a male of similar age bracket. that is not too far away...

I have a few questions for you all...

I have heard that there is network, so if there was a bunny miles away they arrange a transport? but what about the trial of seeing if they et along? What if they don't (we have a spare hutch (which we keep for hospital hutch in case recovery or separation is req.) but if he not suitable, do we just give him to another rescue place? Or do we foster him, which we would not mind for little while, or do we find another rescue near by ?

We have left our info with http://cottontails-rescue.org.uk who seems VERY experienced and has huge place. Also Margaret Green, but still waiting to hear if they have males lop 4-6 years old.

Question2. getting very mixed feedback from rescue and people who keep lots of bunnies...some say you should never mix sex rabbits, yet spoke to one today who said that's rubbish and that she had 6-7 in one very large pen/shed, males females mix ages 2-7 all get on really well (not even siblings) she said all down to personality?

question3.... how about if we were to get LULU two small very young bunnies for company for her to love, mother and snuggle with? Is that viable, if so what advice would you all give, regarding age limits,sex,e ct.

LuLu recently went in for spaying, the vet rang me in middle of opp. to say they found a huge tumour the size of an egg, also she had deformed womb and I was then on the spot given the option to a/ have her put down..B) sew her back up and wait till she gets symptoms 2 months? to several months? or c) to try to remove all of tumour and all of the cervix and womb, which came with risk that she only (due to her age) had 15% chance of coming through it all!...I was very upset (yes even a 40 yr old man!!!)

I took the gamble and asked them to go ahead with whole removal, then after put phone down, was devastated as thought I would never see her again......

but

they rang as said opp. was success and she was waking up and in recovery!!!!

she came home and was in our hospital 5 ft hutch which we brought indoors on lounge table where we could keep eye on her and modi cuddle her

She seems to have mad full recovery and seems herself (if not better than before)

Now the mission is for her to find lonely male lop to snuggle with for her final years.

If anyone has "The PERFECT" match or close...welcome to text or ring me
07 885 980 733 or email me samc3031@googlemail.com

HELP!! lol :wave:

Last edited:
I can't answer No1 as although I have a rescue bun from far away it was a success and never crossed my mind that it wouldn't work (touching head,youll see why in my next one)

No2. I have had a group of 4 before, none related. so , yes it is all down to personailities. I am now going to go for a 6 , 2 rescue bunnies from Nottingham came today.

No3. I don't think I would get a very young rabbit, but again going back to personailities, I may be tempted to go for a quiet male, if an older male did not turn up in rescue in say 1-2 months.

Is LuLu showing signs of missing her sister. i.e. gone off food etc. that may make it more of a priority to find her a husbun than if she is perfectly happy on her own for now.

Hiya,

It was me on the phone :wave:

Yes, i said that the "same sex bonding won't work rule" is generally rubbish.
As people know, i have 6 females all living together. Only 2 are related.
The oldest being just over 4 and a half years, and the youngest just over 6 months.

If you were going to go along the lines of a trio, we have Maggie and Pablo here.
magrabkittycat004.jpg

all is well now with LULU found HUSBUN

GREAT NEWS EVERYONE, AFTER 2-3 MONTHS OF SEARCHING FOR APPROP AGE BUN (MALE) WE FOUND lUlU A BUN, HOUR HALF DRIVE AWAY rspca PLACE. hE WAS NICKNAMED SHOPPER AS WAS FOUND IN SHOPPING BAG OUTSIDE SUPERMARKET ABANDOND... HE HAS LOVELY GENTLE TEMPREMENT. WILL PUT FULL DETAILS AND PHOTOS OF STORY ON A NEW THREAD VERY SOON..

Great to hear things have worked out well. We lost our bunny Toffe this morning to E cuniculi and now have a singleton bunny called Snowflake.It is good to hear how things might be for her if we go down that route.

Back