• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fighting during First Introduction

StevieBunny

New Kit
Hi,

I have a 3 year old neutered (large) lionhead buck and a three month old french lop doe (intact).

I am trying to introduce the pair. Over the last three weeks we have placed the cages next to each other and switched over bedding. The lionheads initial reaction to the doe was fear, he ran away each time he saw her, the doe goes crazy everytime she sees him.

We have tried the first introduction today on completely neutral ground where neither have been before. It did not take long before they started to fight, there was some mounting and then proper fighting from both sides mostly paw thumping, scratching and some lunges with the teeth. We split the two up straight away and there were no visible injuries. Just two wet rabbits, after being sprayed with the hosepipe. The introduction lasted no more than a few minutes.

I have been reading lots of sites but non are overly clear on what the next step are if the two fight intially, other than the introduction will take along time.

I have never done a rabbit introduction before.

Any advise you can give on this would be much appreciated.

Erica

I would keep them separate, but close to each other, and wait until the doe is old enough to be spayed and when she has fully recovered and the hormones subsided start again.

I had the same problem with my 2 bucks. it took 5 weeks to bond them but now they are best buddies. bloody hard work though. good luck.:)

Back