• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice on what rabbit please

Aimee

New Kit
hi all, i am thinking of getting myself a rabbit after my holiday. i currently have a bearded dragon (lizard) who i adore. i probably wouldnt have space to have a house rabbit, but would be able to have an outdoor rabbit. can you give me some advice on what type is best for me. i have a little brother whos 7 and would probably want to handle the rabbit, and i would also want to be able to play with the rabbit a lot. ive got a lot of time as i am off school at the moment, and basically would want a cuddly rabbit that i would be able to look after for as long a possible.

Not all rabbits are cuddly and like being handled. If it was going to live outside you really would need a pair so that they dont get lonely.

Your best bet would be to find a rescue centre near you who let you go and meet all the bunnies and then you can pick which pair you like best.

That's excellent advice from Snowberry.

I would get down to your local rescue centre - you can look for some in your area on Rabbit Rehome - meet lots of lovely rabbits and learn lots more about their requirements.

I agree not all rabbits are cuddly but many are happy for you to sit in their run on the floor and come up on your lap or sit beside you for a stroke and a nose rub.

If you choose a rescue rabbit it will be cheaper in the long run as he or she will already have been neutered and vaccinated and something will be known about its temperement.

i think going to a rescue is a good idea. choose a pair of rabbits about a year old, so you can be fairly sure of their personalities.

i bought my two from a lady who shows rabbits and sells the less than perfect! they are very lovable, but tabby was a heck of a biter and there was no way to know that in advance. she's calmer now, but from six months to a year, she was quite aggressive. with an adult bun, you'd know what you were getting.

Back