• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How I Got All These Rabbits (long but happy story)

animal luver#1

Warren Scout
As I am typing right now i have 8 rabbits. It started as 1. Then became 2. Then became five. Then became 3. Then became 2 again. Than became 8. Then became 6. Than became 8. Here are the details.

This was back in 2006. I really wanted a rabbit and at my friends house there were so many cute fluffy little bunnies hopping around. They were all from the same family. They all looked alike in one way or another. When i was looking around i saw this little tiny bunny who was acting quite calm. She was the one. I could tell. So i told myself if i could get th bunnny in less than 5 minutes than i would keep her. Suprisingly i got her in about 2 minutes. She was very frightended and i felt bad. I wish i could have told her she was going to have a better life than she had at the time. I borrowed a cage and took her home.
I was feeding her carrots and grain and bread but she wouldn't eat any of it. She seemed depressed. I thought it could have been because she was by herself and before she had so many play mates. I went back to my friends house that day and scooped up another rabbit. I brought this one back home and put them together. I saw much improove ment in her behavior. The first bunny we got was named Gokie and the other Fluff. They were so adorible. iI luved them a lot.
Ok so here comes the drama. One day i went to clean their cage... their huge cage! And i saw a clump of fur in the back of a little box i put in there. I moved the fur and there were 3 baby bunnies with no fur and eyes closed. I was so suprised! At the time i was almost positave they were both girls. But i guess Fluff was a male. i felt so horrible for disturbing the nest. Now i was pretty sure Gockie wasn't going to take care of them. I even had to take fluff out of the cage so he wouldn't harm his children. But the next day i went to check on Gockie and her babies 2 of them were not breathing. iI knew it was my fault for disturbing the nest. I was so mad at myself. I couldn't stop crying. The next day the other baby bun stopped breathing. I knew it would happen sooner or later. I had a funeral for them. Gockie didn't seem herself.
I put Fluff back in the cage with Gockie. I didnt think she would get pregnant that soon after having 3 babies. I made an appointment for fluff to be nutered. I couldn't keep them apart forever!!! 2 weeks later i took him to my vet. We got him back and when we did there were 6 baby bunnies in the box!!! I couldn't belive it. So I took Fluff out of the cage and let gockie raise her kids. When they were big enough i took gockie out and let the little bunnies be by themselves. Fluff was so happy to see Gockie again. Now i had to name the little buns.
First I brought them to the vet to make sure I new witch were male and female. All but one were female!!! So I made a big cage and seperated part of it for fidget.(the only male. I didn't want any more babies!.....yet). Here are their names Fidget, Nilla, Sugar, Gotty, Scootch, and Twitch. Fidget and Nilla became class pets. In seprate cages. But then I had to take them back. I was fine with that. So now i have 8 beautiful Bunies!!!

Sorry For Any Word That Aren't Spelled Correctly I was Typing Fast... And Sorry For The Long Story

I was trying to put pictures on but i couldn't figure out how. Please tell me how if you can. And i can't get my avitar to show up!!! O well. Hope You Liked My Story! :D

i dont know how aware you are but i would get the bunnys all neutered thats especially the females as the risk of uterein cancer is high and the risk of the bunnys fighting once they reach maturity is also high.

once al lare enutered yo ucan have a large family gorup you must have to have them in a large free range room or ginat avairy to give them enough space! jsut for future reference a de can get pregnant immediatly after she has given birth so never keep them together :) also the male can stay fertile after the op for up to 6 weeks so dont put him back in before then!

Hi, just a quick one! Erm you said at the beginning of your post that the rabbits were all from the same family?
Hope you didn't mean they were related as inbreeding is really dangerous and the kits may have died because of a congenital diseases not because you disturbed them.:shock:
To conduct inbreeding you have to be very experienced to do it safely.
Anyway I'm sure I read it wrong!:oops::)
Katherine:wave:

Hi, just a quick one! Erm you said at the beginning of your post that the rabbits were all from the same family?
Hope you didn't mean they were related as inbreeding is really dangerous and the kits may have died because of a congenital diseases not because you disturbed them.:shock:

No you should never inbreed there is no safe way of doing it

No.... i prolly did say that. silly me. I dont think they were from the same littler but there were so many rabbits. anywhere u were all u could see was rabbits!!!!!! but they prolly are from the same family and i wasnt trying to breed them.:(And im pretty sure the other litter died because i disturbed the nest cause the next 6 she had are perfectly fine. But u could b right. Ive heard inbreeding was bad but i was almost positive that they were both girls. and i wasnt going to keep them together long anyway cause i no how they can start fights when they get older. Very dangerous! eeeekkkk! But thank u!!! :)

No.... i prolly did say that. silly me. I dont think they were from the same littler but there were so many rabbits. anywhere u were all u could see was rabbits!!!!!! but they prolly are from the same family and i wasnt trying to breed them.:(And im pretty sure the other litter died because i disturbed the nest cause the next 6 she had are perfectly fine. But u could b right. Ive heard inbreeding was bad but i was almost positive that they were both girls. and i wasnt going to keep them together long anyway cause i no how they can start fights when they get older. Very dangerous! eeeekkkk! But thank u!!! :)

I haven't read all the above post but I know what you mean my first two buns were meant to both be boys and we ended up with 6 kits sadly we lost one though :cry: but I know what it's like to not want to breed and it happening anyway because some moron told you the wrong sex!

Also spaying/neutering your buns will stop fights :wave:

I no. I wasn't trying to breed them. They were together temporarly until i could make another hutch for fluff. Ill make sure to tell all my friends that it's not safe. Thank u!:D

Nps but I also read your above post about not wanting to breed them same thing happened with me:wave:

OK that's good that you did not mean to breed them:D
I know you should never in breed anything, but, unfortunately I think that is how all the different breeds get made and why we have sooo many problems with our bunnies:(
I also know people get it wrong when sexing them. Maybe if they had to pay all living costs of any litters produced they might get it right a bit more:lol:
But still we all make mistakes. I know I do. Before I found this forum and my rabbit savvy vet I was feeding Feegal a bucket load of food a day:oops:
Still he enjoyed it for a while:lol:

I haven't read all the above post but I know what you mean my first two buns were meant to both be boys and we ended up with 6 kits sadly we lost one though :cry: but I know what it's like to not want to breed and it happening anyway because some moron told you the wrong sex!

Oh No!! I'm so sorry that u lost 1 :cry: But really they should be sure before they tell us that our buns are both the same gender!! :evil: Or we'll end up with more than 2 buns!!

I'm sorry about the buns you lost-that's so sad!:( Dont' blame yourself, though. Even if it had something to do with you disturbing the nest, there was no way at all you could have known!
I know another member already metioned it, but I wanted to say again; pretty please at the very least get your girls all spayed. Uterine cancer is horrific and sadly, way too common. The males will mark less and be less aggressive if they are neutered also, but for the females it is a big health risk to not have this done.
Best of luck to you and you buns! Please post pics as soon as you can!

I'm sorry about the buns you lost-that's so sad!:( Dont' blame yourself, though. Even if it had something to do with you disturbing the nest, there was no way at all you could have known!
I know another member already metioned it, but I wanted to say again; pretty please at the very least get your girls all spayed. Uterine cancer is horrific and sadly, way too common. The males will mark less and be less aggressive if they are neutered also, but for the females it is a big health risk to not have this done.
Best of luck to you and you buns! Please post pics as soon as you can!

ok. here is some. Dont mind the mess. I have to clean their hutches and boxes 2x a day sometimes!LOL
IMG_5183.jpg

IMG_5506.jpg

IMG_5425.jpg

Oh No!! I'm so sorry that u lost 1 :cry: But really they should be sure before they tell us that our buns are both the same gender!! :evil: Or we'll end up with more than 2 buns!!

I know it's a real joke :evil: and because the father has had dental probs I'm just waiting for more dental trouble:cry:

Back