• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vicious Circle!

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
Ive now realised there is a patteren to Fudges Stasis!!

She was fine about a week ago, with nice looking poos, they then got really stringly around Thursday so i checked her fur and she is moulting again and on Saturday night her poos got really small :( Ive given her some Zantac as i now feel it would benefit her more than the metacam that my vet said to give and if it didnt work give Zantac!

Now today her poos are slightly better in size and shape but it wont be until her moult stops that her poos will get to their normal size.

This has happened 4 times now this year :( But atleast i know what its caused by.

If she would only eat hay it would help push the fur through her intestines and out the other end! No matter how much i brush her (and if i can, she hates it) it still doesnt help!

Ive got Pineapple tablets and have been giving her half since yesterday and half an hour after i gave it to her she had 6 poos attached together!

She is eating great and is her normal self so its not a stasis caused by anything other than her moult and its been the same vicious circle 4 times this year, once resulting in her been admitted :(

So now im worried about her getting a blockage like Blackie and passing away, so is there anything i can give her during her moult to help the hair pass through quicker?

I hav the vets on Wednesday to get Gizmos weight checked as he lost alot of weight 2 weeks ago and i will talk to him about Fudge (no point in taking her, ive got it under control and he doesnt want to stress her too much when in Stasis)

Also When ive seen her eating her poo from her bottom its her normal round, dry poo and not her ceastrophs (SP?) Ive never seen the ones shes ment to eat but her pellets??:? is this normal?

1st. I won't hammer you over hay! I had some lovely helpful advice about different varieties from people on here but my bun won't eat a lot of it & I've done everything possible to it!!!! It's always put down fresh every day, none the less.

What they need is fiber of the right size. Gradually introducing fresh grass may help, as best nutrient value.
2nd best - edible leaves & twigs - raspberry, strawberry, bramble (roll with rolling pin to flatten thorns) hawthorn, (no flowers buds or berries) silver birch, hazel. These will help to keep the gut active naturally.

Just a little concerned that you are using 2 strong hind gut motility agents together - zantac AND pineapple tabs. (bromelaine). It maybe wise to check this with your vet. We need to be sure that they are not obstructed if giving hind gut motility agents as you will know.

If she gets fed up of being brushed, you can damp your hands or wear a pair of damp cotton gloves & stroke her to get out hair. I well know how we can get the same amount out 1/2 hour later! But every bit we CAN do counts.

Also advise to avoid herbs which are diuretics during moult, eg parsley cowparsley, chervil, dandelions etc, and get as much fluid in as you can.

I hope this answers some of your questions, or gives you some ideas.
Judy & Thumper.

Back