• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How Should I Hold Fidget??

animal luver#1

Warren Scout
Every time i try to hold my little bun Fidget he freaks out. Is there a way I can hold him that will make him calm? I just want to hold him. :(
any ideas??

Most rabbits don't like being held, that could be the problem. But, it may be because you aren't holding Fidget right, or....... Fidget fidgets a lot. LOL Not to offend your bun. It's quite challenging to hold a rabbit. I think you are supposed to hold him by your chest, and hold his bottom, not his feet. Make sure you are near a sofo,chair, etc. so he won't get hurt if he jumps out of your hand. I hope this helped!

Most rabbits don't like being held because it reminds them of being scooped up by a falcon or some other predator. (Eep! :shock:)

Here is a video I found on how to pick up rabbits, although I would not use the last hold unless I had a very specific reason. Rabbits can easily kick out and injure their spine, so you want to get them in a position where they can't hurt their back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQDiKmb-LSE&feature=related

But I find it more fun to find ways to get bun to do what I want without picking him up. Call it a fun challenge! :lol:

ETA: I prefer holding a bun this way. This woman has a lot of helpful videos on youtube as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdt0XKNlfRY&feature=fvw

My rabbit doesn't like being held either. The only way I have found that he puts up with is to hold him against my shoulder, so his front feet are resting on my shoulder and his back feet on my chest. Then support him under the bum and put a hand around his neck and front feet (quite firmly though or he might try and make a break for it over your shoulder).
I think he doesn't mind it so much that way because it's like all his feet are still touching something, lol.

I try not to pick my rabbit up too much though cause he still doesn't like it that much.

Thank you so much for your help. I was just worried because all my other rabbits don't mind being held. And yes Fidget does fidget....... A LOT! LOL

Thanks for the videos and advice

Lots of Luv, A very satified bunny mummy:)

Back