• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Small hard lump / scab?

Stator

Warren Veteran
Lilly has a strange thing sticking out of her, it's very small and thin but tall. At first I thought it was something that had become stuck in her skin, like a splinter, but it's the same sort of colour as a rabbit claw. I tried pulling it out with tweasers but I think that was a mistake, it made the area around it a bit red and didn't come out. It's kind of like a skin tag that humans get, but dark and hard. It's the only one she's got and is located just on her back in between her fur. She did have a fight with Roo yesterday after managing to jump over a barrier, so I thought it was a scab when I first felt it, but it's very tall and thin and seems to be coming out of the skin whereas scabs are usually just flat and cover over the wound :?

Anyone got any ideas what this could be? I will probably take her to the vet tomorrow but they must be thinking I'm a hypocondriac by proxy by now.

She seems okay, but very grumpy today, she has a very short temper with Wally. Possibly not pooing as much as usual, but it's hard to tell which are his and which are hers.

It's small, approx 2mm across and 4mm long. Shaped kind of like a sausage sticking out from the skin. Very wierd :?

I wouldn't take a chance - go to the vet. the worse they can do is take a sample and get it analysed. my rabbit had a 'skin growth' and it turned out to be skin cancer (very VERY rare so don't worry!)
best wishes:)

The vet said it was a flap of skin that had hardened and would eventually fall off anyway but he cut it off to speed things up. I have to wash it with hibiscrub but she should be fine :)

Glad she's ok. The reason I asked about the shape is I thought it might be a tick but glad your vet has sorted it anyway :)

Back