• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore eye - cause?

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
I seem to have acquired ( :oops: ) a rabbit with one very sore eye. The eyeball doesn't appear to be bulging (although I haven't really had a good prod around) but the upper and lower lids are very swollen, the eye is very pussy and the rabbit spends most of the time with the eye closed. The other eye is fine.

Apparently the rabbit has been treated with some kind of injectable antibiotic and fucithalmic for about 2 weeks...although I don't know this for sure, just what I've been told.

She's booked in for a vet appointment tomorrow, but I'd like to get some idea about the possible causes beforehand. Am I right in thinking a normal eye infection without any complications would probably have cleared up by now if the rabbit has received the above treatment?

One possibility could be tooth root incursion on the naso lacrimal duct, so dental x r's may be required, or simple tear duct block. So hope it's something simpler to treat.

If the upper and lower lids are swollen my instant thought would be infection, trauma or some foreign body in the eye.

I wouldn't instantly think its a tooth root issue as this wouldn't normally effect both the upper and lower of the eye, it would normally just be one of them.

You aren't sure if the bun has had antibiotics previously, but even if they did it might not have been enough or the irhg tone to fight an infection. I'm guessing your vet will give antibiotics and anti inflammatories and see what happens.

Is the bun eating ok? particularly hay? any dribbling? If they're eating dn not dribbling then this probably rules out teeth issues.

The bun is eating fine...rather too much, because she's very overweight! There is no dribbling or signs of teeth issues, although I wouldn't rule them out because she was on a diet of mix and minimal hay.

I'll let you know how we get on at the vets tonight

All the best for tonight. I'm really hoping for something easy to fix & easy on the fees for you both.

I nipped home at lunchtime to see the buns, and noticed that some of the pus has cleared, but it looks like she might have a nasty ulcer type thing on her eyeball :(

Back from the vets and it's not good news...the vet thinks that it's an untreated trauma wound (from hay, splinter of wood, etc) which has ulcerated then developed into a walled-off abscess. She is probably going to need the eye removing, but the vet won't do it yet because there is risk the eye might pop :shock: . She's now on antibiotic eye drops to try to reduce the swelling a little before surgery :(

Back from the vets and it's not good news...the vet thinks that it's an untreated trauma wound (from hay, splinter of wood, etc) which has ulcerated then developed into a walled-off abscess. She is probably going to need the eye removing, but the vet won't do it yet because there is risk the eye might pop :shock: . She's now on antibiotic eye drops to try to reduce the swelling a little before surgery :(

I'm so sorry to hear this. I sincerely hope that the antibiotics reduce the swelling quickly & that her operation is successful.
Judy & Thumps.

Here is a photo of the bun's eye:

Photo-0028.jpg

Sorry its a bit blurred...I shall try to get a better photo asap

Poor little soul! Thank goodness you "acquired her", barely in time by the look of it. Everything crossed that the antibiotics control the infection fast, so she can have the eye removed soon. WELL DONE for caring so much.
Judy & Thumper.

The bunny (Emily) went for a vet check-up yesterday, and the vet is so impressed with the improvement that she thinks the eye can probably be saved. I'm really pleased :D :D

Back