• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very Moulty Bunny!

Hello
I am new to this forum but not to the world of rabbits but I still need advice!
I have a soon to be 6yr old Dwarf male rabbit Toby, who is gorgeous but who's coat seems to be worse for wear. He is on Metacam for arthritis in his hips and is on Panacur for his e-cuncli. I have tried brushing him, pulling the very loose bits carefully-he's a houserabbit by the way. But his coat still looks shabby.
Any advice much apprecaited.:wave:

Welcome to the forum.

Mine are both moulting and look shabby at the moment, even after I have brushed them.:roll:

I brush them at least 2-3 times a day during a heavy moult and give them Oxbow papaya tablets (some say it helps to break down hair if they eat it).

You could try dampening your hands and stroking which will also help tease out some of the hair gently.

I know how you feel. Two of mine are going through the most awful moult at the moment. You brush them and they don't look any different:roll:

I think mine is just starting to moult as well... :roll:
He had the biggest moult ever last year, I couldn't believe it. He just puffed up over night all at once :| I gave up with the brush and just ended up pulling the tufts of fur out. It took forever...

I'm afraid I don't really have any useful advice... the papaya tablets sound like a good idea though :)

I don't know whether it was the really hot weather, but just recently one of my buns seemed to shed her whole coat within a few days. She is a very moulty bunny but this time seemed to do it with style. She looked a real mess for a week or so, despite brushing, but in the last few days her new coat is starting to look fab.

So hold on in there, keep brushing and I am sure that in a few days you'll have a gorgeous, glossy bun again.

Back