• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits & Cats

Scamps Mummy

Young Bun
Hi there

Our nice new neighbours have got a kitten that's just about ready to go outside.

We always let our buns have a runaround in the garden - whilst one of us is out there with them, they love their time in the garden.

So far no cats have ventured into the garden as there aren't that many around

should we be worried that the new cat might try to attack the buns in the garden? I'm not sure how rabbits and cats mix

I would always be wary and supervise your bunnies play, some cats don't bother and are really just being nosy. Just be alert :)

My cats get on fine with my rabbit but obviously if this cat hasn't encountered rabbits before they may be a bit nervous. I would think the cat would be more wary of your rabbits to begin with (what breed are they?) but keep an eye on it just in case.
As it's a young cat it should learn that the bunnies are not for attacking quite easily :lol:

Definitely keep a close eye on proceedings as it's hard to know how rabbits and cats will interact.

Two of my cats are monsters for catching mice, rats, frogs :evil: but when we moved into this house back in October and they met next door's bunny (free ranging in his garden) they weren't hostile at all! I was shocked (and obviously delighted) that they didn't behave aggressively. Since having Daisy my cats have all learnt that bunnies = trouble and it's safest to run away :lol:

However, I would say always err on the side of caution!

Several cat-owning clients seem to take delight in telling me their moggies love to catch and kill wildies so I wouldn't trust them. I know some cats and rabbits get on but it depends on the individuals and I wouldn't advise leaving them unsupervised. That said I remember as a child seeing a cat stalk my meduim sized rabbit and the rabbit chased it off. the cat ran for it's life!

My cat is a nightmare when the rabbits are out so they are never out at the same time. It is the chase he seems to love because if mine are in their hutch he will just sit quite happily and watch, letting them out together is another story:roll: I would keep a close eye on them hun xx

my kitties get on with my bunny pretty well, but i think that is because ruby just sees them as playthings and the cats are quite young. I don't let them play unsupervised though, just in case.

We have recently, since the weather has been getting better, getting more cats in the garden, they like to come and watch ruby, including this really cute young ginger cat who is totally mesmirsed. Ruby is in a run though whcih I am really glad about becasue he gets into this type of trance and i have picked him up before and i don't think he even noticed!

Maybe you could try and introduce the new kitty to the rabbits if your neighbours are OK with that, i am sure being young that he will get along with them and learn that they are not to chase. You will probably find that the rabbits will chase him and, as in the case of mine, the rabbit soon lets the cat know that it is boss!

my kitties get on with my bunny pretty well, but i think that is because ruby just sees them as playthings and the cats are quite young. I don't let them play unsupervised though, just in case.

We have recently, since the weather has been getting better, getting more cats in the garden, they like to come and watch ruby, including this really cute young ginger cat who is totally mesmirsed. Ruby is in a run though whcih I am really glad about becasue he gets into this type of trance and i have picked him up before and i don't think he even noticed!

Maybe you could try and introduce the new kitty to the rabbits if your neighbours are OK with that, i am sure being young that he will get along with them and learn that they are not to chase. You will probably find that the rabbits will chase him and, as in the case of mine, the rabbit soon lets the cat know that it is boss!

that is a good idea:D

Last summer a local cat would go into the hutch bedroom area and go to sleep. The hutch was always open an situated in an enclosure, so very often my rabbits would sit in the hutch with the cat. She was more scared of them to be honest.

My doe got on brilliantly with our cat- Dave- who to be honest isn't exactly the smartest cat in the world :lol: He was afraid of our new kittens but just loved to snuggle up with the rabbit (I think he may have an ear fetish). To be honest it all went wrong about a week before Josie bun was due to be spayed and she attacked Dave, who just rolled over and took it! Know one was actually harmed but it did scare me a little and as much as Dave still wants to cuddle her I just don't risk it now!

Having said all of that I know that some cats can just not resist the temptation, particularly if it's a small bun. I would closely supervise them. As mentioned in some previous comments it's best to be safe as it's difficult to predict individuals behavior.

Cats also use their sharp claws in play/swatting things etc...all training for the real thing. Therefore, I would always be very cautious with any cat around, especially a kitten who is exploring his environment and claws. I know of a rabbit who ended up with a nasty eye injury from someone who allowed their cat to stalk and play with the rabbit unsupervised. :(

We had cats as well as rabbits growing up and to be honest the story was similar to those already posted. My rabbit Lollipop used to chase our wimpy Siamese up the garden on a daily basis, but we never left them unsupervised. Any prey animal should be supervised in the company of predators - cat, dog, whatever... instinct is always lurking in there somewhere. Better to be safe than sorry. :)

Back