• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can you help?

jesska

Alpha Buck
I've got a 6 1/2 year old female un-neutered rabbit. She's always had a healthy appetite, but recently i have noticed she has lost a fair amount of weight and doesn't seem to be her usual happy self. She's still eating but prefers to eat a lot more fresh food rather than her pellets and treats. I have also noticed that she has started to bleed after she has had a wee.
I've taken her to the vets and they have given her treatment for a bladder infection. They gave her an injection of anti-inflamatory and painkillers. They also gave me some Baytril to give to her twice a day but she doesn't seem to be responding to it.!
Please can you help me what shall i do??

my flopsey had similar symptoms last summer ...turned out to be a uterine tumor ... she had an emergency spay and i still have her now ...she is now 9 yrs old .

i will get her spay then, dont think she will be too weak with the weight loss to have this done? is this the main thing it could be? reading up on the uterine sounds very commonm but does not decribe about the bleeding at the back end but does cause weightloss

i will get her spay then, dont think she will be too weak with the weight loss to have this done? is this the main thing it could be? reading up on the uterine sounds very commonm but does not decribe about the bleeding at the back end but does cause weightloss

an x ray would probably tell you more ...but she would prob need a GA for it unless she will lay very still .

Flopsey has also had (and still has) bladder stones which do present similar symptoms if they cause infection .

i opted for a spay without an x ray as uterine cancer was the most likely cause ...i only found out about the bladder stones this year ..she also has enlarged kidneys ....an x ray found the bladder stones and kidney enlargement .

Flopseys symptoms last year were ...
weight loss
loss of appetite
Bleeding after passing urine ..we treat with baytril in case it was a urine infection but symptoms got worse not better.....
After a few days we opted for an emergency spay .

Flopsey had a tumor in her uterus and her uterus was full of puss...if it had burst she would have died .

i will never leave any of my own rabbits un spayed ever again .

Back